Arcoxia

lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 27. Oct 2014, 11:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey Guys

Hope you are all well, I havent been have a good time of it for a while unfortunately!! :-( xx

I have unspecified seronegative arthiritis. my consultant has recently put me on Arcoxia instead of diflofenic for a change as it ceased to work after been on it for many years - i had to depend on 30/500 cocodamol to get thru the day and nights are terrible!

any way consultant put me on 6omg arcoxia which had no effect what so ever! - he then upped it to 90mg and i had a few days off feeling fabulous (what i imagine normal people to feel lol) - but back in pain again now! - i tried to go back to exercise yesterday (after 5 weeks off due to the pain!) not sure if it was a good idea!.

has anyone had a positive experience with this drug ? xx

thanks in advance xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've read your other postings and will condense my replies into one.

I don't think arcoxia is your problem. I think your problem is that the sulph isn't controlling your disease and you need either a higher dose or another DMARD tossed into the mix. Of course, if you go to your GP he can only prescribe NSAIDS such as arcoxia and naproxen. It's your rheumatologist you need so, if you don't have an early appointment, try ringing your rheumatology helpline and explaining the situation. They should be aware of which, and how many, NSAIDS you're taking.

My RA does affect my nails in that it gives them lines down and my toenails have thickened. But they're not brittle. My hair is much the same as ever.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    I don't go to my Gp about these issues ( no point) I've asked for different dmards they won't shift me as my bloods indicate my inflammatory levels aren't increased therefore they resulted my issues are not to do with condition! They decided it's mechanical ??? I've been refered back to physio ( again) proper fed up !!!!!!!
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    That's not how it works - my bloods rarely do anything exciting but my consultant and nurse know that so work more off how I feel, what I look like and the state of my joints. You say your GP isn't where you go but I wonder if it is worth asking them to write/ contact your consultant and ask for help? My GP is where I get my anti-inflammatories from but all else is from the consultant. Another thing my consultant works with is how fatigue is affecting me. Is this an issue for you? I wonder if the hair and nails is down to being generally a bit run down whilst your body fights arthritis? I have thickened and interestingly shaped toenails but nothing brittle. Could those be dietry related at all?
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • lynnemarie1123
    I am supposed to be under shared care, however the communication is poor between my gps and consultant ! I end up doing the chasing !

I am very run down and think I have been for some time ! Recently was on anti biotics . I might try some iron tablets and see if they help. I work in a school I'm always worse at the of term - week off this week ! I plan to rest ! A lot !!!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    On reading your various replies on other threads I too am thinking along similar lines to Sticky: it sounds as though the sulph is no longer enough which may be why the arcoxia isn't helping. Sulph helps my skin but has never done anything of note for my PsA (whereas a friend of mine has his PsA controlled by just four tablets of sulph per day). I am now on a triple therapy and have been for some years. Any form of arthritis is degenerative and progressive and it may be that yours has taken another step in the wrong direction.

My GP ignores my PsA and my rheumatologist my OA. I am the link between the two and make sure that each knows what the other has been doing / prescribing. I think you should see your rheumatologist and have a chat with him. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    Tried that ! Begged them to change it! No result !!! I've been in tears with them to sort me out and that Ive had enough ! All I got was changing my anti inflam ! And more physio ! I'm on 30/500 cocodamol and amitriptline ! Last thing to change is dmards ! But they aren't budging :-( :-(
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I wonder if it is worth pouring your heart out with the physio then? Physios are good at understanding what is mechanical and what is not so they may be able to either sort out a mechanical problem or contact your consultant and provide their opinion in terms of it not being mechanical and needing more. Has anybody said why they won't change the DMARD beyond the bloods not showing much? I once had a rheumy like this who declared that because hydroxychloroquine did nothing for me I didn't have a rheumatological problem. What did he know?! Not a lot is seems as I await a biologic and have had my quota of DMARDs to get to this point.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter