Research into RA

Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 18. Dec 2014, 11:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
This morning I got a letter from my local Rheumatology department, with three more documents inside, for me to pass on to first degree relatives who don't have RA, so that they (if willing) can take part in research to look at factors to understand what makes people more likely or less likely to develop RA. They hope to design trials in the future which will be aimed at preventing the disease. Anyone else received this? I'm hoping my youngest daughter will be interested.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I won't because I don't have RA but it does sound interesting. I have taken part in a couple of research projects for asthma and hay fever ( if anyone on here uses Beconase I went through some very uncomfortable times on your behalf ) and this is one of the ways in which the medicos can gain further insight. I hope your girl will be willing to take part.

On a different note, Mr DD was selected (thanks to his date of birth) to take part in a series of questionnaires (sent every five years) which tracked his health and development. His Ma dealt with them until he was 30 then he was supposed to take over. He half-heartedly did then stopped altogether when he was 42. It still vexes me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's probably a local piece of research, Kathleen. I've taken part in several over the years and they were all conducted at my local teaching hospital. The weirdest was measuring an entire week's worth of urine when I was pregnant and the most recent involved a 15 month study of falls in the elderly (Stop sniggering at the back.) I explained I never fell as I had to walk very carefully. Then I went a purler in the first month :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Like the others have said it's probably local research at your hospital. Does sound interesting though. I have taken part in 2 research projects at the old hospital I attended, one was the effectiveness of using Humira weekly and the other was just a blood sample taken for antibodies research.

It's nice to see that little research projects are still going on, these research projects can often be the foundation to some new treatments, diagnosis etc
  • Kitty
    It's actually based in Manchester University:

"PREVeNT RA Study

PREVeNT RA is a study which is funded by the Medical Research Council and Association of Pharmaceutical Industries and is being run by the University of Manchester. The study’s aims are to set up a national register of first degree relatives of patients with RA (parents, siblings and adult children).
    In total 573 people have consented and 315 blood samples have been received. The University of Manchester is about to have these blood samples analysed and compared with the questionnaires to look for certain biomarkers which may be linked to RA. This may provide information to help them learn who is more likely to develop RA in the future. Results from these initial findings will be published and also used to apply for further funding for RA research.

"There is still some way to go to reach the target of 3000 participants. They are still looking for relatives aged over 30 and who do not have any inflammatory arthritis themselves. They would need to complete a questionnaire (that can be done online) and give a single blood sample at either their GP or one of the 26 clinics around the UK who are working with the University of Manchester on this study. Therefore participants don’t need to be local to Manchester in order to take part.

If you have relatives who may be able to help please contact Fiona Stirling on 0161 275 5504 or email preventra@manchester.ac.uk Relatives can register online here: https://www.aruk.manchester.ac.uk/tacera_preventra/

And thank you DD, I'm benefitting from your part in Beconase research. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hurrah - my snot has been of use to someone! :lol: The irony is that I can no longer take it thanks to a perforated septum. Hey-ho. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Thanks for the link, Kathleen.

My brother is already filling it in and it's also gone to the son who lives in UK.

This seems a very interesting and sound piece of research. Why not ask Arthritis Care to promote it?
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    My youngest daughter has signed in too. :D

Where would I ask Arthritis Care to promote this research? :?

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    What a good idea Kathleen..any research has to be good... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Both my sons are taking part in this research initiative - they've filled in the questionnaire, and are waiting for blood tests. You have to be over the age of 30 to take part.

While I'm pleased both the boys are doing it, I'm very impressed by the older one, who would rather walk barefoot over hot coals than undergo a blood test!

Tezz x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I haven't had this yet but have had a request to use any spare ! blood and tissue samples.I always say yes to these things as someone somewhere helped me so i look at it as maybe returning the favour.
    Hubby is taking part in a reveal study on a cholesterol drug.Mig
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Great idea. Not sure I could get anyone to take part though. I joined Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research some years ago and filled in a huge questionnaire and gave a blood and urine sample. Every couple of years, I fill in another questionnaire and give another blood sample. I've been wearing a tag for a week which records my movements. None of my family would join in. I'd join any research to help. Where would we be if no-one did?
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    kathleenT wrote:

Where would I ask Arthritis Care to promote this research? :?

Try here: info@arthritiscare.org.uk
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    My brother rang last night to convey the proud news that he'd parted with three vials of blood in my honour :roll: He seems to think he's going to cure arthritis all by himself.
    Steven Wright