The first rule of selling flags

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 9. Nov 2014, 10:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
1. Look interested. 2. Make eye contact. 3. Smile.

The woman selling poppies in Waitrose today was looking far into the distance with a face like a wet weekend. I was wearing my poppy but Mr SW had left his in another jacket. She didn't appear to notice.

I've spent many a fascinating – if, often, freezing – hour with a tin in my hand. It's a real insight into people's habits (Young teenage lads especially will sometimes just empty their entire pockets into the tin) and often you get some lovely feedback. But you do have to look, pleasantly, at people first.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Maybe she was trying to look contemplative but failing! I know what you mean though, it's quite off putting when somebody looks unapproachable even if you do want to donate to charity.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I had a lovely chat with the lady selling poppies at Sainsbury`s on Monday - it turned out she always stays at the hotel we use in Ypres, so we had a nice gossip. That was probably because she looked such a cheery soul when people approached.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We have two lovely chaps selling poppies at our Waitrose and today they had the usual crowd, young and old, gathered around them. Mind you they were sitting in the entrance and there was a fair cold breeze blowing.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    We have regular old chaps too Elizabeth in our Sains*ury (cheeky they are - I bet the rake it in!!), and two others in Te*co. Both sit in that glass covered atrium bit and both get fed hot sausage rolls by the staff :)

This year I have a lovely crocheted poppy, which the young lad who helps out with the Sain*bury-two's sister makes :)

Eye contact this lot definitely make :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    both get fed hot sausage rolls by the staff :)

:oops: I confess, I had a hierarchy of collection stores. The one which plied us with tea (in a little pot :o ) and chocolate biscuits was top of the list. The bottom was the one where we were in a large 'porch with wide doors either side - freezing in winter and suffocating in summer.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Ours are cheeky too Toni! I hope our poppy sellers get fed with warm food on a regular basis, especially as Waitrose are happy enough to give away a free coffee to card holders.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Waitrose were the ones who gave us a pot of tea etc, tchakev. We were treated very well indeed.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    We had the young men in uniform every where and they are so pleasant it was a pleasure to but one off them..or should I say another one...we have lost count.. wish they would put safety pins on them but suppose its the cost..
    Love
    Barbara