Poppies and me.

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 9. Nov 2014, 16:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
15554234517_2a009e7e76_m.jpg
This is me when we first got to the Tower the sight is truly amazing,the crowds were so well behaved,no pushing and jostling there was noise of course but it was a respectful sound if that makes sense.
Our ticket included entry into the Tower its self ,i always get a strange feeling when i walk over all the history that has gone before.Went into the blood tower and followed Raleighs last walk,We saw the crown jewels ,stunning but it was so packed .My sister and i went to the pub for the last hour before we had to get back to the coach ,i had a gin and lemonade with ice and a slice and i might just have one tonight. Mig

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What a vision of beauty - and then there are the poppies. :wink: Seriously; thank you, Mig, for posting such a lovely picture, I think the installation is fantastic but, for what it's worth, I think it would have been better done in 2018. I hope they repeat it then rather than just creating a shadow in the same place.

I was taken aback by the mean-spirited and snide comments about the display in The Guardian. If those young men and women hadn't died, followed by many more in the Second WW, then that journalist might not have the freedom to deride. He should remember that but, because he's a twerp, he won't think about it that way.

I am so pleased you were able to get there and enjoy the day, have a gin for me, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Mig what a lovely picture, I can only imagine all the emotions at seeing the poppies..nice to know that people were respectful..and I am the same with history , just to think who might have walked the same path..Raleigh's last walk ..how amazing ..you enjoy your gin, it was the favorite of the Queen mother :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Lovely to see you mig!!!!!!!!!!!!

You look really lovely as do the poppies.

I reckon the G&Lemonade was a good idea :D

thank you so much for posting. You are the only person I know who has been able to see them in real life

Love

Toni xxx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Wonderful photo mig, glad you had such an amazing time. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You look exactly as I imagined Mig!

The amount of people taking the time and trouble to visit the poppies has been amazing. I read they were thinking of advertising it at one point!

As for the guardian journalist I'm also glad that in this country everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    So glad you enjoyed your trip. They do look amazing and you set them off beautifully :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    What a lovely picture, Mig, and thank you for sharing it - it must have been a wonderful experience. It's many years since I've been to the Tower, and I wish I'd been able to go and see this evocative memorial.

I wouldn't give the chap from the Guardian the time of day.

Tezz x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Lovely to see you Mig and thank you for showing us the photo. I would loved to have seen the poppies but wasn't able to go. Glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Christine