All fall down...

scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 20. Nov 2014, 11:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
*Crash*

That was me hitting the floor, via the chair leg, the filing cabinet, the baking trays, the notice board and the drawing pins.

It's safer not to ask what we keep in the office at work.

I managed to avoid being seen by a student, but not by my senior member of staff, who has now personally picked me up off the floor 3 times following 3 spectacular (if I may say so myself) falls.

To say I'm a little fed up is an understatement. I'm nearly at the point of hysterical laughter and my colleagues can no longer keep a straight face.

Still, one fall today is only tomorrow's bruise. Pick up, dust off, get on.

Comments

• bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh poor you. I hope that strong drink was not the cause :lol: mind you it probably would be less painful if it were. Take care, Deb
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    You should take more water with it :lol:
    Hope you are OK
    Love
    Hileena
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    As I've just done something similar i sympathise,hope you feel better soon. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    ((())) Scattrered, you make light of it but it must be worrying, not to mention painful.

I won't even mention tripe :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scattered
    Hehe, you do all make me smile, thanks. Feeling bruised, ego and all.

I think a prescription of tripe could be just the thing, you know. Do you think it works on such vague symptoms as falling down a lot (ask a silly question)?!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, scattered, this doesn't sound good. Are your legs giving way or are you not picking up your feet sufficiently to clear steps or other obstacles? I have trouble with the latter and now devote all my attention when moving around to moving around, no conversations on the hoof or gazing at the things around me, not any more. It usually works. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scattered
    On this particular occasion, I think I misjudged the distance to the chair, walked into the chair leg, couldn't feel the chair leg against my feet and thus ended up entangled in it.

Going up stairs it's a matter of me thinking my legs are going as normal, when I'm guessing I'm not picking my feet up enough. It feels like I am though... I have to really concentrate on stairs, and watch where my feet go. If I'm not watching them when I go up or down, chances are I'll end up flat on my face. I completely lose all sense of where they are and where the next step is.

Sometimes it's my knees just give way - think the RA is responsible for that though. Plus the abuse the knees are currently getting!

*shrugs* it will be what it will be.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hmmmm. I too have to pay close attention to what I am doing, I catch my toes far too often on small steps and have been to known to stumble and / or fall into or out of rooms. :roll:

Scattered, as you know I am not a great one for troubling the docs too often but I think this may require a visit to the GP, just for a check-over. Misjudging distance and lack of feeling doesn't sound at all good. I am a little worried about you. DD
  • scattered
    My GP is investigating. I have a physio appt to have my gait assessed next week and she's running bloods I haven't heard of. I'm seeing the GP again in two weeks.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. There are lots of little things which I've steadfastly been ignoring which the GP asked about too. We'll see.

I could live with the stumbling - in fact, that has happened with increasing frequency since my RA was dx'd. It the ending sprawled on the floor, the numbness etc which is more concerning.

I'll go back sooner if I go flying into any more objects!
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Hi,

So glad to hear that your GP is investigating. Can understand why you are concerned, but you sound quite positive despite it all. Really hope you get the answers, please do go sooner if you do go flying!

Kirstyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    I am feeling somewhat reassured by your pragmatic approach; ignoring things is not always the best method of dealing with factual matters so please let us know what transpires, yes? DD
  • scattered
    Will do :wink: I know better than to lie to a dr. I might ignore them during my working day but I'm always honest with my GP - she can't help otherwise!

Thanks for all the support, as usual. You're a special group of people.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, am relieved your GP has this in hand. I hardly ever fall simply because for so many years I've had to watch where I plant every step. (I hate those overhanging 'lips' you sometimes get on steps and also kerbs whose gutters slope.) Stay upright, scattered. It has a lot to recommend it :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m glad you have a GP appointment, and hope he/she will be able to help.

I hate falling down, as I can`t get myself upright again. One of my most spectacular falls was tripping over an ambulance ramp at the entrance to A & E - two lovely paramedics on hand to come to my rescue!