Injection site rash

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 10. Jan 2015, 10:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's all a bit me me me isn't it, sorry, this is my last post but I didn't want to tag it to a previous post because it's a bit stand alone.

I get a red blotch on the site of my enbrel injections, it didn't happen with the first one but has progressively happened with the last two in that the third was bigger and blotchier than the second. I was warned it might happen, it raises, is warm and itchy like an insect bite. I can't remember what I was told to do. What does anybody else do? Antihistamine cream? Steroid cream? Ignore? It's no biggy, I rarely get my milk white/ purple thighs out and especially not in November.
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As it is OA and PMR I have I am afraid I can't help you but I am sure some of the others will be along soon to advise you hopefully it wont turn nasty xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I haven`t had this happen to me LV, with the humira, though I sometimes get a nasty bruise depending which millimetre of skin I jab!

I don`t think steroid cream, because as far as I know you`re not supposed to put that on if there`s a cut, or a puncture hole.

It might be an idea to ring your rheumy nurse, but you could try ice temporarily. Sorry I`m not much help.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Triple bilhooks :mrgreen:

Sorry, can't advise but I hope it goes asap.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Hi,

I know this is an obvious question, but do you use sterilisation (alcohol) wipes before injecting to clean the site? and rotate the areas might help. That stops build up under the skin.

Sounds like good advice to phone nurse too.
    Hope that helps!

Kirsty xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I occasionally get an intolerant site reaction with the meth, if it doesn't clear after a few hours then I pop a Piriton - that usually sorts things. My suspicion is that sometimes I get the sterile wipe juice going in as well, hence the bumps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    I used to get injection site reactions with both Humira and Enbrel. Like DD, I was told to take an OTC anti-histamine. I used to take one an hour before injecting, then another the appropriate amount of time afterwards. Seemed to do the trick!
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    If it's progressively getting worse I would phone your helpline and let them know. They should be able to advise you on what to do and might want to even take a blood sample to check for antibodies developed towards the drug.

I used to get a rash with Humira every 2 or 3 injections, I never took anything for it I just left it be and it would usually clear up overnight on it's own. I do know that it's quite common to get an injection site reaction but you can never be too careful on these drugs.
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you all, you've put my mind at rest. I've decided I will see what tomorrow's jab does and then either just deal with an antihistamine or ring my nurse. Last week's site is still quite a large itchy mess. Maybe I just did something wrong with the jab :?
  • Kazziwaz
    Kazziwaz Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I suffered with this recently. I left it and it got really itchy, went to the doctor and it was infected injection site, course of antibiotics sorted it out. I stay away from that area now.
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you Kazziwaz...I've made an appointment with the GP this morning just to be sure because it does look like Jupiter with a black middle and a red ring.
  • stickywicket
    That sounds....er.....interesting, LV. Of course you're doing the right thing by booking in with the GP. Better safe than sorry. Trust you to go for one of the big spectacular planets. Stay away from Saturn :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    At least it isnt Uranus Sticky! :lol:
  • LignumVitae
    :oops: I meant Saturn. I may have gone to the same school as Brian Cox but that is where similarity in our planetary knowledge ends :oops:
  • stickywicket
    :lol: But I bet he's rubbish at dealing with twins, arthritis and injection site planets :wink:

Please give us an update later. (On your personal planet, not B. Cox.)
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    That was a typical appointment for a rheumatology patient. That said, I'm glad the GP was honest enough to make it clear she was unsure. She told me Enbrel issues were pretty rare for her to deal with. She thinks it is a reaction BUT it's spread and behaviour mean maybe not so she has covered me with antibiotics and asked me to call the rheumatology helpline which I have done but it is closed until Monday so I will try again then if necessary - I guess if it all clears up 24-48 hours after taking the antibiotics there won't be a need because the treatment will have proved it is an infection. Ah the tribulations of rheumatology and our medicines.
  • stickywicket
    I always feel more confident with a doc who is willing to say 'I don't know'. I had one, years ago, who'd grab a tome from his shelf and say “Let's have a look.” You know these people won't give you any flannel.

I hope the antibios sort it but I guess it might still be good to talk to rheumatology as and when you can. How can you prevent it happening again? That needs sorting.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    It`s always wise to check these things out, LV.

We had a locum GP once, who wasn`t sure about a rash I`d developed, so she told me to take photos and contact my rheumy - it turned out to be insect bites.
  • LignumVitae
    Right so, that was a fun and VERY ITCHY weekend :x . I stopped the antibiotics on Saturday morning when I woke up with a red lump on friday's injection site - other leg from the one that I queried with you all last week. That red lump grew and grew and grew until it was the size of a saucer - literally - 10cm across. :shock: I've been slapping my thigh regularly, applying ice, you name it, anything for a moment of non-itching. It was also very solid and a bit sore to touch. Last night I resolved to call the helpline this morning but in the end caved to a bit of googling to see if I could find some help. There was a lady who had similar who posted 'don't think I am insane but sudocrem helped'. By that point I would have tried a paste of ginger and celery and even a cold tripe compress or two. I had a tester pot of sudocrem that came free with being pregnant (and as it was twins there must be another somewhere). I never use it on the girls and at bedtime last night was ferreting about for it with Mr LV looking at me like I was mad :? :? :? . I slapped it on. This morning, things are a lot calmer 8) , still there but not as bad. I called my nurse, it's most likely the additives in the pens so I am switching to injections instead which is a shame because I find pens so much easier. Phew though, I worried I was coming off my new best drug for a while there.
  • stickywicket
    Well, I'm glad you called the nurse. It sounded to me, as I read this latest post, like nettlerash which I've had once or twice but, with that, you get coasters rather than saucers :wink: and all over. Anyway, 'allergic reaction' sounds like 't' same chap wi' a different 'at on'. I hope the injections help. You should know by now that a preference for a pen almost inevitably means you must have the needles instead :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    I`m glad your nurse was able to suggest something, LV, so hopefully you`ll be able to stay on the Enbrel.

I used to come out in hives years ago, which were horrible, and were never really put down to anything, but eventually seemed to stop arriving on a regular basis.
  • Steph88
    Steph88 Member Posts: 29
    Hi,

I use the injections rather than the pens and have the same issue. It's gone down a lot since I first started on them though! I use a cream called eumovate which you can buy over the counter at any pharmacy, works really well for me.

I know the post is a couple of months old but thought you might like to know!

X