Leg pain after spinal injections

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 23. Nov 2014, 10:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had bilateral facet joint injections L4 and L5, plus nerve root block injection at L5 on Sunday. Under a local rather than sedation. Nerve one made my leg do some very odd things but I gritted my teeth, did the jolly old deep breathing and let the Ortho Cons do what he needed to. After my leg woke up and I could walk on it, I went home.

Now, they said I'd have numbness and pain for a few days, and I've taken time off sick from work to rest. However, if I try to stretch my leg out straight, I get an odd feeling of a mixture of cramp, muddled up with shooting pains, numbness and pins and needles.

I've not had a nerve block before, but if any of you have, did you get this?

One positive was that whilst my leg was numb, my knackered left knee and ankle didn't hurt! Result! Not the case any longer mind you.

Oh, word of advice. If you need to have these, please do the sedation route, especially if you are having a nerve jab. I won't be taking the 'local only'' route again.

Thanks for reading.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Grace
    Yes, I've had nerve blocks and also facet joint injections.
    I didn't get any feelings like that ....They just didn't do any good whatsoever :(
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace I have had the facet injections but not the nerve ones..I'm glad to see you had a local anesthetic..I wasn't given sedation ..and I would ask next time..sorry I'm not much help..but I hope things improve very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`ve never had this done, so can`t help I`m afraid, but I hope things improve for you soon.
  • GraceB
    Thanks for your replies. Hopefully, this may mean the jabs will work. When I had facet joint injections before they didn't make any difference.
    GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never had spinal injections. That must be a bit worrying, Grace. I'd monitor it for a few days but then check with your GP if it doesn't go.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Well, I've got to go back to work tomorrow and have no idea how I'll get on. Jury is still out whether or not these jabs will work. At the moment there's certainly no improvement and I'm one week on. Still have my awful referred hip pain plus the sciatica type pain going down my leg on top of all the post jab issues. Ah well, I consider myself to be a lot more fortunate than others so I will continue to count my blessings, focus on what I CAN do, and blow the rest.
    Hope you all have a peaceful and as pain free day as possible.
    Take care,
    Grace B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Count your blessings by all means, Grace, but, if the jab has caused nerve pain, I'd want a medical opinion on that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright