DLA/PIP reassesment this week

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
This week I'm scheduled to have a "Medical professional" to come and asses me in my own home. The company assessing me is Capita Healthcare.

So far I have found them to be very sketchy and sneaky, firstly they called me at 9AM and asked was it a good time to answer some questions, I politely told the woman on the phone no please can you call back in the afternoon when I feel more awake as I very rarely get to sleep before 7AM these days. Well they called back the following day at 9:30 and told me that if I refuse to take the call this time they would write back to DWP saying I have refused to take part in an assessment.

They basically asked me a bunch of questions as to which I had already answered on my PIP application form except they wanted answers on the spot and really wasn't listening to what I was saying and I felt like they were twisting my words. Thankfully I have a recording of this conversation on my phone after gaining consent from the lady calling me (I suggest everyone does this if they can) After answering questions for around 30 mins I was given an appointment with 6 days notice, they did ask me would I accept an earlier than usual appointment and I accepted because I want the assessment over and done with.

I will post back after the assessment to let everyone know how it went, I hope the outcome will be good but like many others I fear it won't be good and will lose my independence through loss of a car.

There are so many people falsely claiming this benefit and will continue to do so, as a result innocent people who have a right to the benefit will be the ones to suffer as a result.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't envy those who have to assess us - how can they when their judgement is so skewed thanks to having good health? Like it or not we have to fit in with the schedules and demands of others which can affect us. I hope it goes better than you are expecting, please let us know when it's done and when you hear the outcome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it goes well. I actually think it's much better if these assessments take place when we are at our worst. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    They wasted my time, I waited and waited and waited some more and nobody turned up. Their offices are shut on the weekend so I couldn't call anyone to ask where is the assessor.

Later on in the day the post arrived and guess what......I had a letter saying they have re-arranged my appointment after me requesting to do so, and that I couldn't change the appointment again.... Capita so far seem no better than Atos. The date on the letter printed was 7th Nov....why such a delay in sending me "my new" appointment, and why not give me a phone call to let me know. This company so far seems totally useless and has no consideration for the disabled. I know a lot of you on here would also be annoyed after spending the whole day sat down in pain waiting and waiting for someone to turn up. I had less than 1 hour sleep the night before due to server pain and mentally built myself up for this assessment.

The new assessment date is for 2 weeks time lets hope they turn up this time.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When did you request the change? Dealing with any lumpen organisation like this is fraught with pitfalls, as you have discovered. We know that we are individuals but, to them, we're more like a dollop of mushy peas: we possess nothing of any interest or note. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    I didn't request any change of appointment, I accepted an early appointment over the phone. I called them first thing this morning and they actually admitted that something had gone wrong and they were sorry. Hopefully they will stick to the next appointment this time.

Maybe just a one off mistake as these things do happen but we shall see.
  • As5567
    Pip assessment over and done with. The lady doing the assessment was really kind and very polite. She firstly went over the information she was given by DWP which confused the both of us greatly. To put it lightly they had given her the wrong information for almost every section and we were both wondering if somebody had mixed up the names on the case files or not. After around 20 mins fixing that and filling in the correct information she asked me a few questions about Cooking, mobility, showering and getting dressed and traveling to a new unknown destination.

After the questions that took no more than 30 mins she made me do the following physical tests.

Hands on top of head, she noted I had great discomfort from muscle spasms.

Standing up from a chair or sofa, again noted my difficulties and observed that I had trouble getting up from a chair.

Walking unaided to the end of the room and back, failed miserably and only got and inch or two before she told me to sit down and that she had seen enough. She noted that I was unable to walk unaided and that I find walking difficult even with aids. On a bad day she put me down as 0m and a good day she put me down as between 0 and 10m walking without discomfort.

Bending and touching my toes, she noted that I wasn't able to do this and that it caused me considerable pain.

After these she said there are other physical tests she could do such as making me sit on the floor and get back up but she has seen already that I'd not be able to do that without putting myself in danger.

All in all I'd say the assessment went ok, much better than I expected it to go and the assessor was much nicer than I was expecting he or she to be.

This assessor was from capita, she was very chatty and seemed to understand how awkward and difficult the assessments can be, she even helped me word things correctly so the decision maker can get the full picture and there isn't anything that's been left out.

Hopefully more and more people will get a good assessment like myself now ATOS is almost finished working on behalf of DWP.

Now just to wait for the outcome of the claim
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    That sounds as if it went well, I hope you have a positive outcome.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • As5567
    I got my decision in the post today, standard rate care and standard rate mobility.

I will be phoning them on Monday to start the appeal process for the mobility part of things.

Will let you all know how I get on