Knuckle joint replacement

Kazziwaz
Kazziwaz Member Posts: 32
edited 15. Nov 2015, 17:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, has anyone had any joints replaced on their hands?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think there are people on here who have had this but I'm not sure who or where they are. I believe it's an op usually performed on older patients as younger ones give the new joint a lot of hammering and they don't have a very long life. I think fusion is more common. This is the only thread I could find on it.
    http://tinyurl.com/ncmksuj
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kazziwaz
    Thanks, I'm 46. Been told to consider it, going in to see my nurse to discuss the options, pros and cons etc was hoping to gain some insight from someone who has had the surgery
  • susanwis
    susanwis Member Posts: 8
    Hi Kazziwaz,

I am also 46 and looking like I am heading in the same direction. My surgeon want to speak seriously about it in the new year. I am going for an injection next week into the joint. I have also been looking for answers. Let me know if you find anything.

Best of luck.
  • stickywicket
    Hello Susan. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum even though it seems we'll probably be unable to help. Perhaps Kazziwaz will spot this and will by now have some news. I hope so.
    Steven Wright
  • susanwis
    Many thanks :) hopefully will find some answers.
  • Kazziwaz
    Sorry guys missed this.

No news for me, the surgery has been put off for a while as I'm going on the TNF route.
  • susanwis
    Hi,

Found a few people who had joint replacements in my place of work with positive outcomes, so went ahead and had my index finger MCP joint replacement done. The surgery went well (4th June) and function is getting better. The only problem is slight deviation probably due to tendon tightness they believe. Has anyone else have any insight into this and is there likely to be more surgery to correct the tendon?

Best

Sue
  • stickywicket
    Have they offered any physio exercises to try to stretch the tendon? Maybe your surgeon or physio would be the best person / people to ask.
    Steven Wright
  • susanwis
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes undergoing therapy at the moment, they just said it was unusual for fingers to drift post op. Even GP was surprised when he saw my hand. I am supposed to be having a splint which gradually pulls the finger to place, so will just wait and see. Just a bit fed up (impatient more like) :D Will get there in the end.

Sue
  • stickywicket
    :) It's understandable. I hope you get there sooner rather than later.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hello,

I'm due for all my left hand knuckles to be replaced this year. I'm having a thumb fusion on 17th August and then if all goes well with that 6 weeks on I'm having my knuckles replaced.

I'll probably start a thread for anyone who might be interested in following.

Hope this helps.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • susanwis
    Hi,

Excellent news. Hope all goes well for you. A couple in my physio group have had their thumbs done and they are really pleased with their outcomes.

My MCP replacement has gone well but for the tendon issue which I hope will be resolved with physio. I have my appointment on the 3rd August with consultant, so fingers crossed.

Sue

:bouncing-ball:
  • lindalegs
    Thank you Sue and good luck for the 3rd. Will you post how you go on please?

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • susanwis
    Hi,

Have seen the consultant and he is happy with the implant but not happy with the deviation (neither am I). I am having an ultrasound of the hand to see what the tendon and ligaments are doing. I am having a new splint made to help correct the problem, so hopefully that will work. Back in September to see him again.

Sue

• lindalegs
    susanwis wrote:
    Hi,

Have seen the consultant and he is happy with the implant but not happy with the deviation (neither am I). I am having an ultrasound of the hand to see what the tendon and ligaments are doing. I am having a new splint made to help correct the problem, so hopefully that will work. Back in September to see him again.

Sue

Thank you for that Sue. What a pity that they couldn't do the scan there and then and then you wouldn't have to wait to know what the problem is. In an ideal world ............nope, no use going down that route because in an ideal world we would be all healthy! :roll: :D I shall look out for further news when you get some.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • susanwis
    Well quick update. Still no idea what the scan said but went to theatre on the 22nd October to have it corrected. Was consented for examination under anaesthetic +/- silastic replacement +/- fusion.

From what I can gather / remember, it looks like they have taken the pyrocarbon replacement out and put in the silastic one. I hope to find out this week. Still bandaged up and in a bit of pain :(

Other than that none the wiser!!

Sue

:zombie-cat:
  • lindalegs
    Thanks for the update Sue. I hope you do find out what they did and also that it solves the deviation problem. I'm not surprised you're still in pain as it's early days yet. When my post op pain got a bit too much for me I saw the GP who prescribed some stronger pain relief. It worked a treat and was just what the doctor ordered :wink: :roll: :D:D

Let us know what you find out please.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Hi there

Just to say I had my knuckles replaced in 1986 due to severe RA damage - yes I'm that old! I was 36 then.

They called the operation Swanson procedure and it was very successful as my fingers were completely stuck in a claw-like position, so it released them. I have had index finger and thumb fusion since which partly worked.

I think they still do this operation. Have had lots of upper limb surgery and am often told 'oh we don't do it like that any more'! Feel like an antique sometimes :roll:

Hope you get on OK and make the right decision for you.

Take care x
  • lindalegs
    mermaid wrote:
    Hi there

Just to say I had my knuckles replaced in 1986 due to severe RA damage - yes I'm that old! I was 36 then.

I think they still do this operation. Have had lots of upper limb surgery and am often told 'oh we don't do it like that any more'! Feel like an antique sometimes :roll:

Take care x

Hi Mermaid,

I, too, am an antique in the RA stakes :wink: My favourite from young OTs and Physios is 'we didn't do that then but we would now ...times have changed y'know' when, often they still do, do some things as they did in the past. :lol:

Anyway I'm seeing my surgeon next Thursday for the next stage in my grip reconstruction which will be left hand knuckle replacement. It would be interesting to compare notes when this happens :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • susanwis
    Hi,

I saw the consultant and he had removed the pyrocarbon one and put in a silastic replacement. My hand is now straight again and looks more normal, but is still very painful. He was originally talking of fusing the joint but decided to try a replacement again instead. I do think that maybe he should have just fused more because of the pain I am in. Hopefully this will improve in time.

Mermaid - with your fusion did it work and do you have any pain?

Still early days, so need to get through the torture of hand therapy!!

Sue