Advent calendars

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 3. Dec 2014, 05:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm not preaching but I thought I'd pass this idea on. It's a growing idea started by a few UK comics and it's lovely. The idea is that when you go for a shop you pick up an advent calendar or two if you can afford it and you donate them to your local food bank. I think it's a lovely way to know you've made a difference to a child's christmas. If you are using a food bank chances are advent calendars are off the list of christmas treats you can afford for your child. I always had one and they were so exciting!
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What a lovely idea. We collect for a foodbank at my church so will do this. When she was younger my daughter's guide troop used to do the "shoebox" appeal where you fill a shoebox with small gifts for a child affected by conflict or poverty abroad. We always enjoyed doing this and thinking of that child on Christmas Day.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The best ideas are so often the simplest. Nice one, LV.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Very good idea. I don't know where there is a food bank near me but I'll definitely look out for one. I usually buy one or two extra gifts to donate to our local radio station for children who don't get so much. Hmmm, might contact them and put forward your suggestion.
    Christine
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    That`s a really good idea, LV - we gave our grandsons an Advent calendar each today, plus another one each for them to hand in at school for their collection for children who are not as lucky as them. All the classes are being asked to bring one if possible.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    http://www.trusselltrust.org/map

Here is a map for the trussell trust. also local churches tend to collect for foodbanks.

Its a lovely idea LV and I will certainly be contributing.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    good thinking LV..like you say its something they wouldn't expect to get.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    Thanks Elizabeth. I've checked on there and the nearest one to me is 2 bus journeys away. It would take me an hour to get there. However, I emailed my local radio station and they said they had been talking about this over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully, they will collect advent calendars to distribute.
    Christine
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Thanks Elizabeth for that very useful link. Christine, I love that you have contacted your radio station about it, you might just have made a huge difference to lots of children! If nothing comes from it though it might be worth checking with local churches. The one where the girls go to play group has a collection point for the local foodbank near us. I think health centres might also provide spaces where you can drop stuff off. I know a few of my local supermarkets often to a drive before christmas too where they give you a flyer on your way in and then provide a bin on the way out where you can drop food or whatever you may have picked up on your trip around the store.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I saw several calendar s in the food bank bin at my local T##co yesterday so I think word is spreading about this. Excellent idea as it could make all the difference in the world to a little one.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    That comedian Jason Manford who helped Stephen Sutton ahs donated HUNDREDS of them. I think his connection to Stephen will have encouraged more people to donate.

Isn't it a genuinely LOVELY idea :D

Heartening methinks.

Thanks for starting this thread Lignumvitae. Definitley :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I will do this, our local Co-op has a trolley for food-bank donations so I'll drop some in.

Although I am 55 I always have a traditional Advent calendar. :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    I was in T*sc* yesterday and they had trolleys at the entrance for people to leave food in for the food banks. There was a list of items they wanted. I asked about advent calendars but they didn't want them. However, there was a news article in the local paper showing a girl who had been collecting them and she had hundreds.
    Christine
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I think that donating to food banks is such a quick and easy way to help others. While I am not suggesting that charity donations are not appreciated, needed and generous, with food banks, you are meeting a very basic need and it makes such a big difference instantaneously.

Just a little tip for those who donate; I was told that while things like potatoes are lovely, some food bank recipients cannot afford to run the gas or electricity, which is why they suggest tinned foods.

Thanks, LV for this thread. You have reminded me how hard Christmas is for some people, so I shall be donating some food as well as some treats in there because tis the season to be jolly and all that.