I hate wasting food but . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Nov 2014, 06:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
It's true, I do because it is quite expensive stuff and why throw money away? (Mind you I happily drink it away with wine!) I have a small problem (well, I don't because I've solved it) but wondered if the rest of you would agree with my course of action.

We returned from our hols with some lovely local eggs, one of which became damaged in transit. The shell is cracked but the inner membrane has held. Given my health troubles I have decided against using this egg - even though it appears to be 'contents intactus' I am unsure as to what lurgies or nasties may have seeped through the membrane. I know, I know, it's only an egg but I have binned it. I think I've been wise - what do you think? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I would not have risked eating it so I would say you were correct in chucking it away. Why take that risk?

I also hate throwing food away so I keep an eye on the sell-by dates and often plan meals around them.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I would have done the same thing. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Being brought up in the 'waste not, want not' tradition, I'd have cracked it into a cup and checked what it smelled like. If it seemed OK I'd have used it for baking or something where it was going to be well and truly cooked. (But then I'm just a tight-fisted Yorkie :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I'd have baked with it too if it smelled OK - nothing really survives 200 degrees. My food not going to waste policy scares Mr LV (last night he got upset I was cooking with floppy celery - what harm can floppy celery do the world?) but none of us have ever become ill and maybe even got stronger through it - I do reserve the feedings of smelly green meat for the dogs only :lol:
    I was quite upset last week when that had happened to an egg I'd bought but I didn't realise as it was the bottom and had become glued to the box, as I picked it out it cracked and egg went everywhere - right whilst I was mid-bake. I couldn't even swear as the girls were with me.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    i had scrambled egg when i was out last year that evening i was bad after a visit to the doc i was told i had food poisoning.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I would have used it if it looked and smelled ok, coming for a catering back ground I could tell lots of tales as to what some people would have termed dodgy, no one was ever xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I'd have thrown it away too, even though I hate waste. Had my immune system not been compromised I would have used it. I wasn't always so wasteful but had a horrible bout of campilobacter a couple of years ago and it still makes me shudder!!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I would have thrown it away too, not worth the risk
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you all for your replies, I have erred on the side of caution which I think is sensible (I can do sensible but a short lie-down after is usually required). :wink: The closest I come to baking with eggs is making an omelette or scrambled egg (currently my breakfast of choice) so I have binned it. This morning's scramble will include black pepper and a generous sprinkle of chilli flakes. Yum-yum!

Floppy celery is excellent in Bolognese sauce, stiff celery is lovely steamed for a few minutes, it goes well with broccoli, sprouts, green beans - any veg. in fact. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    A wise move. I'd certainly want such an egg thoroughly cooked.

I have no problems with floppy celery, carrots etc. Just bung 'em in a stew.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright