OA and meds

bimble
bimble Member Posts: 42
I was diagnosed with OA in both thumbs earlier this year, after virtually incapacitating my hands by an excess of gardening. I don't have any prescribed meds. I try to take as few ibuprofen or painkillers as possible, working on the basis that if something hurts too much I'll stop doing it for a while which is not in my nature - I like to get things finished.

Questions - I'm concerned that if I can dull the pain then I'll damage the joints more by overdoing things. Does that make any sense?
- How do I know whether joints are inflamed so which tablets to take?

With apologies to all of you who have severe problems not just little niggles!

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bimble
    Thank you for your post,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your hands after doing lots of gardening. It sounds as if you’re being sensible with regards to stopping if something hurts too much.

You refer to overdoing things, and really it’s about finding the balance between the activity and rest.

We are not medically trained on the Helplines and are unable to offer individual medical advice. It may be worth speaking to your doctor about which tablets to take if your joints are inflamed. You could also have a word about seeing a hand therapist or physiotherapist, he/she would be able to give you some specific exercises for the joints in need, which can be very helpful.

The link below to our information on ‘Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist’ may be of interest:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAhandfactsheet2012.pdf

Here is a link to an Arthritis Research UK publication ‘Gardening and arthritis’, this too may be of interest: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/arthritis-and-daily-life/gardening-and-arthritis.aspx

You are very welcome to give us a call on our Freephone Helplines: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 10-4), here we can talk informally and in confidence.
    I hope this is of some help
    Best wishes
    Lynda
  • bimble
    Thanks for the reply. I have seen a physio and am being a good girl re exercises! The last two GPs I've seen haven't been very forthcoming with advice (understatement!) though they've been good organising x rays and blood tests. Anyway, maybe I'll try a different one next time! (GP that is).
    Reading your forums keeps things in perspective - thanks to everyone involved.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello bimble, I am on ordinary forum member and hope you won't leave us just yet, please repost on LWA in case others can help. Whilst it is true that some of us are more affected by OA than yourself, it is also true that pain is pain is pain: it hurts, end of, and it can be very miserable. GPs don't have much in their armoury (pain relief, anti-inflammtories and maybe a steroid injection) but there are measures we can take for ourselves to help ease matters: heat works better for OA than cold, so you may find benefit in soaking your hands in a basin of warm water - you could also add a sprinkling of Epsom salts for further relief. My late Ma used to rest her hands on a hot water bottle and found that comforting. There is also a hot wax treatment, one can buy a kit from some well-known retailers. Thumbs are useful so when they hurt we know about it! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bimble
    Thanks DD. I will write on LWA but have been clearing out the shed today so that's finished me off! I expect I'll manage to hold a wine glass tonight though!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, I now suspect you are someone who properly understands the finer priorities of life. :wink: The forum is quiet at the moment but hopefully someone will reply - quite a few on here have hurty hands so might have further suggestions and tips to help ease matters. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben