What TV programme from your youth makes you smile still?

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 3. Dec 2014, 06:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
I fondly remember 'The Wombles' and 'The Clangers'. I just wondered which programmes other forum members can recall with a smile.

Conversely I wouldn't watch 'Dr Who' as I was convinced the daleks would get me. :roll: Didn't like Catweazel either but can't say why not.

This could get interesting I think ...

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I used to hide behind the settee when Dixon of Dock Green came on! Didn't like Dr Who - scared me silly! Loved Black Beauty, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables. My mum always watched the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, which I thought was boring rubbish!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We didn't have a TV until I was of an age to prefer going out with boys instead :lol:

The programmes I really remember, with affection, were those I watched with my younger son when he was little and which we later watched again together during his gap year, roaring with laughter:

The Wombles
    Chorlton and the Wheelies
    The Magic Roundabout
    The Clangers
    Candlewick Green
    Trumpton
    Chigley
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Dr Who was terrifying (as was Batman) but I liked the latter for the music and the POWs! and WHAMs! They were on Channel 4 last year (I think) and I watched a couple: talk about hammy acting but back in the day it was American so ergo good.

I loved Charlie's Angels, The Dukes of Hazzard and Knight Rider too but when younger it was Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men, Belle and Sebastien and any of the black-and-white dubbed Czech films for children. Oh, The Whacky Races and the one with King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, Scooby-doo, The Magic Roundabout and Noggin the Nog (creeeeepy voice-over on that one). The Monkees and The Banana Splits were in a fabulous league of their own.

Neither Mr DD or me liked Mr Benn, we both ignored Trumpton and Camberwick Green (but we can recite the firemen in order and sometimes do :wink: ). Neither did we rate Roobarb & Custard and Crystal Tips & Alistair. He loved Tales from the Riverbank: I loathed it.

I've just re-read the title: . . . . T V Programme . . . . :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Cat weasel I use to love it, living up in an old water tower was the life for me, now I dream of a bungalow how sad is that?. :lol:
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Willo the Wisp. Edna the TV witch terrified me but other than that I loved it.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E - we all loved David McCallum! In childhood Champion the wonder horse and Ivanhoe.

Showing my age here!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thanks for all your replies.

Sadly a lot of the programmes mentioned are ones I actually remember. Must be showing my age ... :roll:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Oh oh I almost forgot Fireball X L 5 and trap door I use to love those and Project UFO.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I preferred Fury to Champion The Wonder Horse. Robin Hood (Richard Greene) The Sword of Freedom, Ivanhoe, William Tell. Loved Perry Mason, and Rowan and Martin's Laugh In. Loads more, I could go on forever. :lol:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    heee this has taken me back...there are lots of programs that make me smile..but just lately I got a copy of torche the battery boy its from the 50s60s..I could not believe I got hold of it..really made my day :D:D
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    The black and white minstrel show ,dad used to sing along then he would get mum up to dance and we kids would clap and cheer. Mig
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I have to say Mork & Mindy & the Wombles. I used to have a scarf when I was a child like the Wombles scarf!!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I hated 'Planet of the Apes' the 70's version, it started because my Mom popped round to my next door Neighbours for coffee and left my sister and I watching telly. Our programme finished and Planet of the Apes started and scared the hell out of me and I hid behind the settee, my little sister was fine and watched it. When my Mom returned back from next door she found me in tears behind the settee! Still to this day I can't watch or even look at the 1970's Planet of the Apes and if I do see it for just a minute or so they give me nightmares!! And yet I can watch really gruesome horror movies and be fine. I'm fine with the recent remake of Planet of the Apes with Mark Walburg!