The dreaded lurgy.

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 1. Dec 2014, 03:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Stomach bugs aren't uncommon in people who have been to Egypt and woah, they don't call Pharoah's Revenge for nothing! The GP thinks I probably picked up the highly contagious norovirus on the plane home and sent me home with a yucky tasting powder and yet more tablets. The entire upper half of my body is also covered in a gorgeous looking itchy rash. :roll: Bad things definitely come in threes because the dehydration has aggravated the currently undiagnosed condition that is causing me vertigo. I am sitting at home, shivering in my PJs, feeling very sorry for myself.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    (((()))) I don't care. I'll risk contamination. What a rotten end to a holiday! At least you and your doc were onto it quickly. I hope things improve soon, Sophie. (I presume you feel too ill for the 'proper whinge' you promised :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Oh dear, nothing worse! I hope you feel better soon.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Awwww Sophie that is all you are needing after your lovely holiday lets hope you feel better soon ((((())))) look after yourself xxx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Oh no, how awful and after such a lovely holiday as well. Hope you recover soon from your lurgies and it doesn't put you off future adventures.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I hope things are getting better. I HATE norovirus. It always feels like the end of the world when I get it and leaves me not only sick but also aching like crazy...I'm a member of a really irritating twins group on facebook and the other week they were all talking about rotovirus which apparently is like norovirus on steroids. It made me quake just thinking about it.
    Last time with me, as I began to eat again my body bizarrely craved jelly babies and I swear they put me right because once I started eating (packets of :oops: ) them everything settled down. When you emerge from poorly you have LV's licence to scoff sweeties, until then (((((()))))) I am sending much love and sympathy and hoping things have settled for you.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    ((())) I hope it's easing off a bit and the joints aren't protesting too much.
    Steven Wright
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    I'm a big believer in eating whatever you fancy after a tummy upset! I always want a bowl of custard! My mum always wanted bacon and eggs!
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Sophie,

Sorry I've only just spotted this :oops:

I've never had the norovirus myself, but I witnessed its effects on others while in hospital a few years ago, poor souls. I hope you start to feel better asap :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think it's fairly well known that the air quality in aeroplanes is far from good, they recycle it to the nth degree. Poor Sophie, :( I am not surprised that you have contracted this and I hope it's easing now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    A few more.((()))

I don't think the norovirus is an airborne one, DD, but it is very infectious and planes are dodgy places anyway. I always keep my anti-bac wipes to hand.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Oh Sophie you poor thing, when one thing happens it's a domino effect with other problems that are in limbo and it flares them back up. You snuggle on the sofa and watch some bad daytime telly!! Hope you feel better soon.
  • Starburst
    I'm alive. :oops: Sorry for my silence, I returned to work on Wednesday, despite feeling a bit weak and wobbly. Perhaps not the wisest idea because I'm totally wiped out. I shall rest and recharge my batteries over the weekend.

Thank you for your kind words, as always. x
  • Slosh
    Just wanted to check you are doing as you promised and are resting up today, do the same tomorrow if you can.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    I did! I slept 10 solid hours on Friday night then took a 'brief' nap of 4 hours during the day. :lol: I've only just woken up after a 12 hour snooze last night. I'm planning on another lazy PJ day today. I might pop out to buy myself an advent calendar but that's it.
  • Slosh
    Glad to hear it, it might be worth waiting until tomorrow to get your advent calendar as they will probably start reducing the price then.
    I've been doing a pj weekend as well. No excuse other than a busy and stressful week, with another one ahead so trying to save some spoons!

Hope you have a better week.
    Julian of Norwich
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Nothing worse than catching a sickness bug, especially for those of us with a lower immune system. Glad to hear the worst of it is over
  • stickywicket
    I think your body was trying to tell you something :wink: I hope the PJ weekend has set you up for a better week ahead.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That amount of rest was obviously required and well done to you for indulging! We all need some time-out every now and again - and you do drive yourself very hard. I was a twerp over the weekend and my lower back is misbehaving in fine style - serves me right! I hope this week is a better one for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben