MRI Scan

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 1. Jan 2015, 04:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone recently had a full neck, spine and pelvis MRI scan and recall how long it took? Also does anyone know if its possible to have breaks in between sections?

My rheumatolgist is sending me for a full scan of my neck, spine and pelvis and has also requested for them to also inject me with something to show up all of my organs and insides to check that I don't have any hidden abscesses. This part was just a suggestion by her seems I've recently had to have surgery for multiple abscesses and while I'm in the scanner we might as well get that done at the same time to save me having it done at a later date.

any experiences of how long this type of scan takes would be great, what ever the length I'm going to struggle I just hope its not going to be hours long

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've had a full neck and spine scan and it took about 20 minutes.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    I have had lumbar spine done, several times, with and without contrast. I am sure it takes longer than 20 minutes more like 40. If you are lucky they will give you headphones with the radio on - the time flies then. It seems much longer without the radio. I got used to them - not as bad as you think.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I recently had a scan of my spine and SI joints. It took about 35/40 mins if I recall correctly.

Best of luck. Remember to press the button if you need it and take a break from the scan. You won't be the first nor the last.
  • As5567
    Thanks all for sharing your experiences. I really hope I don't need to have the contrast injected due to how difficult I am to get a canuala into my veins. But from memory some radiographers use it all the time and others have told me that if once the scan begins they think it would be better with the contrast then they would stop the scan and set me up for the contrast, so I guess its down to luck.

My main concern is trying to lay flat on my back and remain still, anything over 5 mins and the terrible muscle spasms begin. But then again I am sure they will have some sort of solution for this.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hello AS,

I'm fortunate in that I've had about 10 MRI scans of various bones and I've never needed contrast, so I have my fingers crossed that you won't need one. Have you seen this tool? http://www.accuvein.com/ It sounds really promising for people, like you, with sneaky veins.

When is the scan?

Wishing you a lovely Christmas. :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Ash
    I think about 40 mins too and they will stop halfway through if they need the dye.
    So many of us have difficult veins don't we?
    I reckon Sophie's thingy could help us all.
    I think you'll at least be given a wedge pillow thingy under your knees and if you need it breaks so best of luck and Merry Christmas
    Love
    Toni xxx
  • As5567
    I think difficult veins just comes with the condition after years of poking and prodding in the arms! That device does look very useful and would love it if my local hospital used one or there were any way I could buy one to take with me I totally would. I do see a future for something like this in hospitals, I have no idea on the costs of needles and blood bottles but I'm sure they would pay for their self by decreasing hospital waste and waste disposal.

If the scan is under 1 hour then I would probably just let them get on with things and get it over and done with. It's amazing how so many of you on here have had so many MRI scans, the last full spine scan I had was done in 2001 when I would have been 13 years of age! At my old hospital I did have a couple of MRI scans but only on sections of my back and my one hip. But my current doctor has no means to access these as the hospital refuses to pay for the notes to be transferred over....crazy I know when an MRI costs £1000+ and note transfer would probably be under £50.

I'm lucky enough to have a family friend who works in the radiology department and did get the chance to have the scan done Christmas eve due to 3 cancellations but politely declined. I didn't really want to put my self in a position where I would be in more pain than I currently am on Christmas day. She told me the scan could be any day next week or any day after new years she will just call me when there is a slot I can take. If nothing comes up then it will be on the 12th of January which was the date they could fit me in as an urgent referral.

Once the scan is done one of my family members has arranged for one of her best work friends to come after work (They both work in the operating theatre) and look over the MRI results with me. I really badly want to know what's going on and causing all of these muscle spasms and the constant nagging pain in my bottom while sitting down. Seems I wont be seeing my rheumatolgist until the end of feb if the MRI shows anything that can be fixed or worked on to ease the pain then I'd rather know ASAP and get things going so I can try and concentrate on my University work and finally graduate this summer!
  • frogmorton
    Great contacts there Ash

It will be good if you can get scanned earlier and how useful to be able to get the results deciphered too :cheesygrin:

Yes lots of MRIs been had on here.

My own daughter has probably had at least 6-8 this year because of her leukaemia.

Do let us know how you get on

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Brilliant that you have got a cancellations ...like Toni says good contacts there..I had full body one including sacro joint it was just 45 mins...my others have been around 20 mins..but must say the 45 mins went faster that I thought it would...good luck..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    Sorry for the lack of reply, spent the last couple of days in hospital due to breathing problems hopefully caused by my AS.

I'm sorry to hear about your Daughters condition Toni, I hope things have been as well as they can be for her over the festive period.

so far I've had a CT scan and bronchoscopy done to try and work out why I'm having trouble breathing. So far they aren't telling me much and want to see me in clinic next week to discuss the results with one of the other doctors but that I'm well enough to go home for now.

Hopefully I will get my MRI scan next week and really hope that I'm allowed to take my medication next week also, as things currently stand I've been told to not take it until they know what's going on. In the mean time I'm currently sat here feeling rather nauseous from the antibiotics I was given. I was prescribed 3 different kinds for 14 days, hopefully the nausea will settle down a bit when I can manage to eat a bit more food.

I hope you all have a good new years eve and a good 2015!
  • frogmorton
    Hi Ash

Thank you for asking Lucy is doing much better at the moment (this all came to light a year ago tomorrow when she fainted) regaining some of the weight she lost.

Antibiotics do make you queasy :xmas_sad:

I am glad you are well enough to be at home - we all eat better at home so maybe it will help as you said when you can eat more.

Roll on that MRI and some answers for you. We'll be waiting to see how you get on

Love

Toni xxx