A new nodule???

scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 24. Jan 2015, 12:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Merry Christmas all!

I seem to have a new joint nodule, which has become apparent over the past two weeks, on my right hand. I have several on my fingers already, but this one is different -- it's in the palm of my hand, underneath the uppermost palm crease. It feels like it's associated with my middle finger's knuckle joint, it's not very painful, unless I aggrevate it -- which I try to avoid. It is a small, noticeable lump which my wife can see without me having to point it out.

Does anyone else have anything like this??? If so please tell me more.

Scozzie

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Scozzie
    Dupuytrens contracture ??? It could be that.
    I've had that for years.....doesn't hurt but every doctor I go to {about something unrelated} notices it and says ....Oh you have dupurtrens contracture

Its 2 nodules at the bottom of my fingers on the palm of my hand...One under the 2nd finger and one under the ring finger.
    Like I say every doc or even the physiotherapist notice it although I'm there about something else. :shock:
    There is nothing they can do about it until the finger starts to bend slightly then they can operate or do something......mine hasn't got to that stage yet so I don't know anything more about it
    Google it and see if it fits your symptoms.......It may be something completely different
    Love
    Hileeta
  • scozzie
    Thanks Hileena

I thought it might be that, but I don't have any curvature either -- so I thought maybe not. I'm not keen on collecting conditions, lol! The OA is bad enough, but at least it's stopped adding joints to the collection for the past year or so!

Scozzie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I was going to suggest similar to Hileena Scozzie.

The curvature may take longer to develop. I would just mention it next time you're at the docs.

Hope you've had a good Christmas

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi scozzie
    Sorry I cant help, but I do hope it becomes less painful for you..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi Scozzie
    I could take ages to develop.....mine has been there for years.....its not bothering me so I dont bother it :lol:
    I've collected enough conditions along the way

Love
    Hileena
  • scozzie
    Thanks ladies!

Have a great and as pain free 2015 as possible!

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think that we're the ones to ask, mate, I suspect a visit to your GP may be in order: we know an awful lot about arthritis but we cannot diagnose. I hope that whatever it is proves to be nothing serious. Here's to a better 2015 for all of us, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    Thanks DD

It is something I have earmarked for bringing up with my GP next time I'm in there, hopefully not in the near future (the visit to the GP, that is).
  • Tia1723
    Tia1723 Bots Posts: 43
    Even to me, your symptoms sound like Dupuytren's contracture. Nobody knows the exact cause. If you have the gene that causes Dupuytren’s contracture, other factors such as diabetes, smoking and certain medications (for example, medication for epilepsy) may activate the condition. Though, it is not clear how significant these factors are.

It doesn’t require any testing, so in your next appointment your GP would be able to confirm this, based on telltale signs. He may recommend exercises, warm water baths, or splints (does not prevent increased bend in the finger :( ).

Surgery is last resort, when your doctor has confirmed through measurements over time that the disease is progressing. However, it usually progresses very slowly and may not become troublesome for years. It may never progress beyond lumps in the palm.

Hope it helps.
    love,Tia.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Just a point of interest. My dad had Dupuytren's Contracture and apparently it comes from a genetic link to the Vikings!

Meg
  • hileena111
    Hi Meg
    I've never heard that before :lol: and I've got it as well.

Oh well, doesn't matter where it comes from really, nothing much we can do about it except keep an eye on it and get to the doc when it starts to bend slightly
    I've had mine for years and its still just nodules on the palm of my hand....thank goodness

Love
    Hileeena
  • scozzie
    Thanks ladies,

When I first noticed it, I thought it was just just another joint spur associated with my OA, because it is right next to a knuckle joint in the palm of my hand, but now I don't think it is. I did the wrong thing and looked up nodules on the palm on Google and on one of the first sites I clicked on was a photo of a hand in the early stages of Dupuytren's -- and it looked just like mine, lol.

As far as the genetics goes, I'm not sure, I know my dad had bad OA in both hands (I don't think he had the pain I get though) and I'm fairly sure he couldn't straighten his hands fully -- clapping and shaking hands was a problem for him in later life and he was signed off for his hands ... but I don't know if he was ever diagnosed with Dupuytren's.

But this new lump is something I will raise with my doctor next time I need to see one.

Happy new year
    Scozzie
  • scozzie
    Hi all,

Just an update, I was at the doctor's today and the new node was officially diagnosed as the early stages of Dupuytren's and I do have a slight curvature of my middle finger already; and I also have Reynaud's, both in my right hand.

At least they don't hurt, just a touch uncomfortable at times ... lol.

Here's to a pain free year for all.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    My husband has / had this. He had a very minor procedure to correct it (Just two pin pricks to show) and, so far, it has done but he doesn't have arthritis in his hands which probably makes a difference. He was warned that it'll probably return but so far so good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Scozzie
    I have this and have had it for a while now
    My fingers are all shapes :lol: but nothing to do with that
    Just the arthritis
    Up to now mine aren't sore and the finger isn't bending yet so long may it continue like that.
    We have enough to think about don't we :wink:

Love
    Hileena