May I have a little moan, please?

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 1. Jan 2015, 11:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I admit that I am not that good at moaning, my view being it is what it is and it will do what it will do and moaning won't change a thing, but I am being sore-tested at the moment by a PsA-affected toe nail - or rather the lack of half of a toe nail that 'peeled' off last night.

I felt that summat was up (a snagging sensation in my slipper) so went to the bedroom to investigate. A nail had split vertically down the middle and the left-hand half was already away from the nail bed. I made a quick (and probably rash) decision and ripped it off. I dripped blood all over the carpet as I lurched towards the bathroom (hopping being out of the question! :wink: ) and, after patching myself up as best I could, I soaked a flannel in cold water and blotted the carpet as best I could. I then 'grape-trod' a towel over the damp bits.

It throbbed all night long but, around 9.30am, it stopped: I suspect I should peel off the three plasters that cover it but am unwilling to unsettle things. I've just peered down the top of the plasters and wish I hadn't. :shock:

I think I will leave well-alone this evening but have a proper butchers tomorrow: I want this to heal so won't do my meth this week (and may reduce my sulph a little) because this is a nasty wound. I've lost nails before but not quite as badly.

All I can say is 'OUCH'.

PsA - the gift that keeps taking a little more away each time it strikes. I am trying to be pleased that it's only the one toe but, as I said, I am being sore-tested. And I mean sore! :lol: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh DD..you keep a close eye on that toe, we don't want it taking bad ways..could you not soak it in hot salt water ,to keep any infections down x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Barbara :) and thank you. :) I was a brave girl, I prepared a bowl of warm water with some Lavender and Orange Dettol (how things have changed!) and cotton wool swabs. I removed the plasters, winced, girded my loins and proceeded to make things uncomfy. I am now re-plastered, with some antiseptic cream on the raw bit and everything is twanging once more. I have co-coed and will again at bed time.

I will see how things go but reckon I will be paying a visit to the nurses at my GPs' clinic at some point next week, just to be on the safe side.

Why does life have to be so complicated? Oh to be healthy and not deal with any minor or major inconvenience caused by ill-health . . . . some people don't know what they're missing (and one of them is currently cooking dinner). :roll:
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    That sounds so very painful, DD. Yes, I think a visit to the nurse is definitely called for to make sure it doesn't become infected. Take care.

Meg
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Goodness this made me wince DD,make sure you get it checked by the nurse. (((()))) Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    That sounds really nasty and painful DD, think it woukd be worth getting it checked as you don't want to risk it getting infected. Hope it gets better soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, one and all, for your kind words. This morning all is comfortable (well, on the toe front) so I will later be braving a shower - I will keep the plaster on but change it afterwards.

I am now trying to decide what to have for breakfast - my stomach is not giving me any clues whatsoever about what it fancies. :roll: DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Ouch!!!!!!! that sounds sore DD
    I think a visit to the nurse is on the cards even if your toe is easier.

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    you have a moan if you want it sorts things out.
    i broke my big toe years ago the nail never grows on it.
    i hope yours is soon feeling better.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I think a visit to the nurse is a must, to check for infection, as toe nail removal can so easily lead to one, no matter how brave/careful you are.

Hope it's soon better.
  • dreamdaisy
    It's playing up a little now but that is after a long day on my feet and doing some driving. I will investigate in a while once the cocos have taken their small effect - note to self, buy more plasters tomorrow! I promise to do something about it before next week: my GPs surgery is fully-booked this week but the walk-in clinic elsewhere in town is there as a backup. DD
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Ouch DD! Have to say I winced at the ripping off of the nail, you are braver than me for sure, hope you get an appointment soon and no that there is no infection pending.
    Kirstyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    It's an added joy of my version of PsA - all my fingernails have crumbled (but not yet peeled off) and another toe nail is misbehaving: wot larks, Pip, wot larks! :lol: I've been here before and I'll be here again, it's no big deal but it is sore. :(

It's very cold here, currently -4 but the heavy frost is beautiful. DD
  • mig
    Hugs . Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, Mig, I am pleased to report that it's looking very well indeed. :) No heat, no sign of infection, it's not hurting; I gave it some fresh air today (indoor 'fresh' - far too cold outdoors) and it's now safely plastered. The other one is not as bad as I first thought but that too is protected by a plaster. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :shock: Plastered? A Toe? Crikey, I know it's Christmas but.....
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Glad it`s healing for you. I`m supposed to have an ingrowing toenail removed before too much longer. I had one done a few years ago, and it wasn`t too bad.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Glad to see there is an improvement lets hope it continues to do so xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Epic fail as a moan DD. I was expecting some self pity not self surgery. I suggest spirits to numb the pain and I hope it sorts itself out soon
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I agree, that was not a moan. :wink: I'm pleased to hear your toe nail is feeling better. I used to suffer infections before I found my wonderful chiropodist and boy, are they painful! Sore toes can be surprisingly painful and distracting. Take good care of yourself.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello LV, it's lovely to hear from you and thank you for taking the time to reply - I have regrouped, and am dealing far better with matters, but every encouraging word is appreciated. Things are much improved compared to this time yesterday so that is a blessing, no?

I hope all the LVs have a comfortable and splendid New Year. DD

PS Thanks to you too, Sophie, it isn't pleasant but there again not much of LWA is. :wink:
  • mig
    How are the toes today ? Mig
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope the toes are still recovering well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Everything is fine and dandy, thank you, so it's a good start to 2015! DD
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    All I can say is OUCH!

I have only ever once lost a toe nail and will never forget the agonising pain. It sounds like you're taking good care of it and hopefully it will heal up nice and quick.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    :shock: Plastered? A Toe? Crikey, I know it's Christmas but.....

hahaha!

Sounded nasty that DD :shock: , but I am very glad to hear all is healing well now

Love

Toni xxx