Cold remedies

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 2. Jan 2015, 13:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Last time I had a cold I didn't take any thing but talked about cold remedies with my consultant she said Theres no problem with taking them so long as you don't take anything else that contains paracetamol,so I'm going to try them today as I've a thumping headache and my nose is running like a tap and thoat is starting to feel sore ,what do you lot think and do to relieve symptoms ? Mig

Comments

• kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly mig,
    Its the season for colds/coughs etc isn't it. I had a corker of a cold recently and it knocked me flat. I spent much of my time off (booked leave!) work in bed, though if I have to be at work and up and about and feel rubbish, I try and keep hydrated with water and take paracetamol to keep temp down and maybe some vit c as well. I personally don't take any kind of remedies other than that., but others may swear by them (over the counter kinds). Hope you can rest, wrap up in duvet or and blankies today. Hope you feel better soon,

Kirsty xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I might take a hot lemon at night (of the paracetamolised kind) to help me settle to sleep but apart from that nothing, I prefer to let it run and get it over and done with. I don't meth or humira either just to help my body sort itself out. My Ma used to force zinc tablets on me, completely missing the point that I did not want my immune system artificially triggered when it's artificially smothered.

There is nothing more rotten than the common cold, they can pull you right down - you have to what is best for you, my lovely, and I hope you feel better soon. DD

PS I also like Mr DD's cold remedy - equal parts of brandy and port, to be slowly sipped. His Ma gave both him and his brother this, even when they were young children - small measures only.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I never do them. When my nose was dripping te other day I prescribed myself a couple of whiskies as a nightcap. It worked and I slept. Now it's chest and throat. Inhalers for the chest and American Chloraspetic lozenges for the throat. You can't buy them here but they did enable me to stop coughing long enough to nod off at some point in the early hours of today. Oh and gallons of tea.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    This sounds daft and I haven't tried it myself , though my daughter and a friend have and swear that it works, vicks on your feet and then a pair of socks on top is supposed to stop you coughing.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I don`t take anything, believing colds just have to run their course, but I might have a small whisky before bed if I`m coughing - purely medicinal, of course.

My hubby swears by rum & blackcurrant, but I don`t like rum.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I just try to treat the symptoms whatever they happen to be at the time.
    Honey and Lemon drinks {home made...not the medicinal kind} for my throat.

I take paracetamol anyway......so I might stop those and replace them with cold and flu remedy if its bad {which has paracetamol in it}

Does anyone remember the eye problems I had for a long time?
    Well one of the things the horrible consultant I had at first prescribed for me was a nose spray :? :?
    Nose spray for dry eyes????? Another doc told me to keep it on my repeat prescription. Although in his opinion it would do no good for dry eyes it would be excellent for blocked noses etc :lol:

Love

Hileena
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    My GP always says cough medicines never work and tripling your liquid intake does. I don't think he means whisky, brandy, rum or port though. I am tempted to try one or all of those - especially the combination of two next time I have a cold. Purely for medicinal reasons and not at all for experimental pleasure.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I usually take hot lemon drinks and gargle with lukewarm water with salt. Hope you feel better soon mig and you too Sticky xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I used to keep bees so always put a teaspoon of honey in hot drinks during the winter. None of the family ever got colds. I don't tend to use honey as much but do take hot orange drinks with honey in when I have a cold. Definitely eases it.
    Christine
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I agree with a few of the above comments, there is very limited evidence to suggest that these cough and cold 'remedies' do anything except empty your pockets. Inhaling over a steamy bowl of hot water always seems to ease any catarrh for me.

Wishing you well, mig. Take it easy!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Well they did no good what so ever so I will not be taking anymore,spent the night propped up in bed ,the whole house smells of obas oil which didn't do any good either next I will try the Vick ,by the time I've tried everything it will be nearly better so I won't know if it's worked or not .Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I knew that a teaspoon a day of local honey can help to prevent hay fever so maybe, applerose, it also has a prophylactic effect for colds. That would make sense. It was julie47 who used to apply Manuka honey to her stump when it was playing up.

Oh Mig, this sounds as though it has a real hold on you, I hope you prise its phlegmy tentacles loose sooner rather than later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I usually just take things easy, drink more fluids than usual and 2 paracetamol at night to help with any temperature that develops.

Vick vapour rub or something like that I sometimes find helpful to release and free up the sinuses in my head. I also just sip on water to suppress coughing which seems to be as effective as cough medications for me.

I hope things will improve for you soon, it sounds like a real nasty cold you have right now. Rest is probably the most important thing
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh poor Mig :(

I am lucky as I hardly ever get colds (tempting fate that isn't it?), but like most I do either the honey and lemon or a couple of paracetamol for any temperature I get and Mig, Vaseline for your sore hooter at night.

Hope you feel better soon. As Ash says - rest up if you can

love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope you're on the mend, mig. I had an odd day yesterday in which I felt fine but for a bit of a cough but needed a couple of cocos to get out of bed as no joints were moving. Today I'm just weak and wobbly and no, I didn't 'do' new year. Onwards and sideways, as DD would say.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Littlemoose
    Littlemoose Member Posts: 3
    Hi Mig

I'm new here so not 'met' you before. I also have a hideous cold at the moment (hence why I'm awake in the not so early hours) and I'm finding that olbas oil really helps clear my mucus. Not with the sleeping thing so much but hey you can't have everything! My gf has disappeared to the spare room to avoid my iPad light and inevitable cold-snoring when I do get to sleep. I thought being gay would mean I had a more understanding other half - apparently not ;). I hep you feel better soon.x
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Hi Mig,
    Hope you are feeling better?

Kirstyxx