Hello

Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 11. Jan 2015, 15:34 in Say Hello Archive
Hello all
I'm 39 and was diagnosed with OA in the knees 10 years ago. Managed pretty well up until a year ago - had to modify a few hobbies and shoe shopping became a lot quicker (if less fun), and I learnt about low impact exercise. I had lots of tests at rheumatology because they kept saying there was evidence of higher inflammation than they would expect, but definitely not RA. Just over a year ago it all started to go a bit downhill - got myself a new GP because I was getting nowhere and couldn't see a regular doctor. The new doc is great and I had an arthroscopy earlier this year, although everyone seemed quite surprised at how advanced the OA was. Apparently the next step is likely to be a knee replacement but they want me to wait five years. So now i suppose I'm at the point where I am trying to come to terms with the condition and maintain my job, which is a real struggle. I've been feeling very low recently and I'm really trying to get in touch with other people who experience the same sorts of thing. My husband and family are very supportive but I find it difficult to explain sometimes. And sometimes I just can't cope with the sympathy!
Looking forward to connecting with the community

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Ladybrown,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find support, advice and light relief. There are lots of others here with OA - and lots have been advised to wait before surgery.

I'm one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis 'hangers on' or look after family with same. If you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via personal message

Take care
    Mod YEH
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have two kinds of arthritis, the joint damage from the first one led to OA in a number of useful joints (including my knees) and I was turned down for new ones three years ago because I was too young (I was then 52) despite being bone-on-bone through most of the joint. There is a tendency for surgeons to wait, which is tough on us, and they usually cite the fact that a new joint won't last much more than ten years and revision surgery is harder. If you have a new joint, and look after it, it can last considerably longer but I guess peoples' expectations of replacement joints is higher than it used to be: I read in the paper today of a gentleman who has had a new hip and is now back on the squash court. Hmmmmmm, methinks his won't last too long!

There are many on here who have had new joints (and a fair few no longer post which probably means that they're out there getting on with things) but there are also those who are waiting still, for whatever reason, so you have an empathetic as well as sympathetic audience. People mostly hang out on the Living with Arthritis board on here, that is where we deal with meds, docs, appointments, frustrations and the occasional bit of good news, so please have a look over there and feel free to join any discussions (or start your own!)

I wish you well, DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello ladybrown and welcome to the forum. You seem to have coped well so far with your OA and I'd guess that what's making you feel so low is the combined news that you need a new knee – but in 5 years' time. It's the sort of thing several people on here have been told. The delay might be because your knee isn't quite bad enough (by their standards, not yours :roll: ) to warrant a new one or it might simply be your age counting against you. Many are asked to wait until their mid 50s as a means of trying to ensure a second one isn't needed. My OA came as a result of my RA and I got my first new knees aged 35. One has since been replaced very successfully but it's a bigger op, a longer implant and more ongoing, potential problems.

“I find it difficult to explain sometimes. And sometimes I just can't cope with the sympathy!” Might these be connected? I, too, dislike sympathy so my instinct is to struggle on often longer than I should. I also don't want other people deciding what I am, or am not, capable of doing – another reason for keeping quiet :) I think we need to tread a fine balance here. If we don't tell others we are in danger of being isolated with our pain. Also, our nearest and dearest can feel hurt if they feel they've been kept out of the loop. Keeping them informed while not moaning on all the time and also keeping control of ones own life is all part and parcel of living with this annoying disease. Welcome aboard. We mightn't have the solutions but at least we understand the problems :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello ladybrown
    And a warm welcome from me..
    The others have given you some good advise,I just want to say its really can be a big help to talk to people that understand..I have OA and have had one hip replaced so far..but I am in my 60s and like the others says they hold off when you are young then hopefully you don't need a second one..hope to see you name around the forum very soon..wishing you well..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and the good advice. I'm looking forward to being a part of the main discussion groups - there's already plenty of food for thought and it's great to feel less alone in this.
    :)