Fluoroscopic ultra sound Guided Steroid Injection Advice

silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
So tired with all the pain of this OA. I have at last had appointment for 7th Feb for the Ultrasound Guided steroid injection in my right hip and am now a bit anxious. As I also suffer with prolapsed discs, this will hopefully establish where my main pain is coming from. Some of the side effects that can occur are a bit alarming so wonder about other sufferers here on the forum feel about the benefits of this procedure. This cold weather is making this even more unbearable and guess we are all in the same boat :? .

Oh well, whinge over :D . Thanks for listening xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know others have had these (successfully, I think, or at least minus any side-effects) and I hope it helps you.

Mods - could this thread be moved to Living With Arthritis, please, where it should get more replies?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Thank you StickyWicket for your lovely reply. That is reassuring. I am very nervous. So your comments have made more relaxed about it.
    I don't know what I was thinking posting this where I did. Was it in Benefits Section? I think as I haven't been on the forum lately I had got a bit mixed up as to what I was doing, also it was very bad day pain-wise.
    Thank you also Sticky for asking to move it to Living with Arthritis :) .I was definitely not thinking straight yesterday. Today - well, more bearable.

I thought the quote Arthritis Care put on Facebook the other day just about summed it up , it was words to the effect of " Our good day is a normal persons bad day". How true!

Thanks again for your help xx
  • stickywicket
    Silkysam, I'm sorry this hasn't been moved. Why not copy the thread yourself onto the Living With Arthritis forum?

I thought I'd let you know that Mr SW has just returned from taking a friend to hospital for exactly the same procedure. He was a tad nervous (the friend, not Mr SW :wink: ) but has returned very happy as he didn't feel a thing.

Please remember, after yours, to stay off your feet as much as possible for 48 hours to give the injection chance to work. Getting some meals sorted out beforehand might help. Goos luck.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    THANK YOU so much for telling me Sticky, I feel so much better already :lol:
    Hope Mr SW's friend will get great benefit, and also hope you have a wonderful pain free day. Will now paste and copy my message to Living With arthritis , and thanks for the good luck wishes xx
  • lincolnshirelass
    lincolnshirelass Member Posts: 14
    Hi Silkysam, haven't had steroid inj in hip but I had one in my right foot in hosp under same conditions last Nov. Don't worry, it should help a lot with your pain. Pain in my right foot disappeared within hours & hasn't come back yet. I'm having hosp check up on 5th Feb to see how it's doing - it's wonderful. Pain in feet is due to OA & RA - after inj I can now go out for the day without having swollen painful feet & being laid up the following day.

My OA in hips was sorted 4yrs ago when I had both hips replaced - marvellous, wonderful Ortho Surgeon & follow up checks.

Good luck!
  • silkysam
    thanks lincolnshirelass . So your was a fluoroscopic ultrasound guided injection? How long had you suffered with the pain before you received the procedure? I am getting very nervous. Thank you for your feedback. So glad the Hip ops worked well for you. Another thing I worry about. What a lovely thought - going out for the day and no pain ! :lol:
  • stickywicket
    While I think - the friend who was taken by Mr SW for a guided hip injection reported last week that he feels tons better, sos much so that he inadvertently found himself running for a bus :o:lol:
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Well Stickywicket! Thanks for that - that is amazing news! So his fluoroscopic injection has now enabled him to be be pain free and actually run for a bus! So it has enabled him to move more freely as well as help with pain? I do hope so :lol: Oh in that case I don't feel so cowardly :oops: xx
  • stickywicket
    No, he's not pain-free just much better. He has now promised himself no more running :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • lincolnshirelass
    lincolnshirelass Member Posts: 14
    Hi Silkysam, I had the pain in my feet for about 2yrs caused by a mix of OA & RA, took me quite a while before I mentioned it to rheumatologist but finally did last year at annual check up, as it had got to the stage of having to hobble from the car to my house every time I went out for a while especially if I'd been at work all day. She referred me to ortho surgeon, had an MRI scan as he thought I might have to have a fusion of the foot joints.
    Anyway, MRI showed only one joint was causing all the pain & he let me choose between a fusion or an injection. No brainer really as the fusion would be a recovery period of 3months in a cast + several weeks in an airboot afterwards.
    Had check up last week & everything fine - has booked another appt in 6 months time & can have another inj if this one has started to wear off by that time.
    I have wonderful service from the NHS - can't complain about anything!

Hope yours goes just as well.