Somebody's watching me . . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Jan 2015, 11:41 in Community Chit-chat archive
I finished my shower, wandered into the bedroom and started to assemble my choice of clothing for the day: knickers, bra, socks, jeans, long-sleeved Tshirt and cardigan. As is the norm I began donning the undergarments first (I've discovered it's easier that way :wink: ) and gently became aware of a presence - I knew I was being watched.

I slowly turned my gaze to the window and there, sitting outside and looking rather miserable, was my spy - the robin with long legs. (Seriously, he does have long legs.) He cocked his head to one side, then, as I donned the jeans and Tshirt he fluffed up his feathers a little more (it is currently minus 2 here so a tad nippy). He stared in frank curiosity, straightened his head, did a very neat hop to turn round then flew off to the silver tree (which is decorated with a feeder holding winter seed mix for birds). He proceeded to help himself but then flew back in time to see me struggle with my socks.

I'm not sure who was feeling the sorriest for the other - him for me because all he had to do was fluff a little more and fly whereas I have to muck around with various layers - and I can't fly. He's now outside the kitchen French doors - I think I'd better put out some water, yes? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    oh DD so funny :lol::lol: thinking perhaps those of us who struggle with dressing ought to grow feathers :oops: ha ha be easier wouldn't it.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I love it, and Carols idea of growing feathers how good would that be..we have just bought another feeding station and its lovely to see the the different birds feeding ..must say we are short on Robins..hope he stays around for you , they can become quite tame.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    never mind about getting dressed you flew with the food up the tree.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    WE have robins cheeky little devils,in view of the weather forecast I've been out filled the feeders filled the bird baths ,as i was putting the fat blocks in the holders i could hear the robin twittering away soon as i was indoors the blue tits and robins were getting stuck in then the starling appeared and took over . Mig
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    You didnt mention your longjohns. when listing your underneaths.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    DD wouldn't wear Long Johns unless they're made of 100% silk of course.

DD - such a lovely description of Mr Robin's visit to your home this morning. I suspect you'll now be spoiling him with bird food specially made for Robins!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    A lovely description of your robin`s morning entertainment, DD. We have quite a few feeders in the back garden, and always see the robin helping himself.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Silk? Nah, mine are woven from the finest, softest hair that can only be found on the underbelly of the rarest mo. :wink: I like the feathers idea but I would have to kitted out akin to a male peacock rather than a blackbird. :)

We now have a wide variety of bird life (possibly due to the cat moving out when we moved in) and it is increasing in numbers probably thanks to my feeding them. Blackbirds and robins are the most common but the robin with the long legs tends (that sounds as though it's straight from 'Allo 'Allo!) tends to stay on the garden side of the gate. We also have blue tits, coal tits, long-tailed tits, sparrows, wood pigeons, collared doves, crows, the occasional gull, magpies, jays and, once, a woodpecker who gingerly tried the silver tree (it's made from galvanised steel so not to its taste). No starlings as yet but a friend of mine has them on her local estate and they are amazing when they flock to the skies. At night I can hear the owls, I know they are in the local park but it's very green around here and they flit around sounding rather mournful. My absolute favourite, however, is the wren I see on the drive in the early morning. The robins are certainly the most curious, friendly and give a lovely splash of colour at a dull time of year.

I'll see if he's there again tomorrow! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    How lovely it is to be watched by birds.....you have a good assortment, DD. Very occasionally I have a woodpecker looking in my bedroom while he's checking the eves and crevices for spiders, etc. He leaves very interesting tail-prints on the window. I don't know about your UK woodpeckers but our's here like to hammer on metal when they are pairing up in the spring. The louder the sound the better, for them anyway :lol: I love them.

We have lots of birds at our feeder too but I'm wondering why not as many last year. Hopefully it's just that they are somewhere else and not because of generally declining numbers. We're having a mild winter so maybe they are not so dependent on feeders. I hope so.

Enjoy your watcher!