PIP assessment date

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
I have got my date for my assessment on February 23rd, must admit I would have preferred a Friday afternoon when I'm at my worst rather than a Monday but hey ho. I wil post again nearer the time for any tips/advice but I wondered if as my husband will be away and all my friends will be at work I just wondered if I would be able to take a couple of witness statements, from my husband about how I manage at home and one from a colleague about how it effects me at work in terms of tiredness, pain and problems with thinking clearly, speaking coherently and word finding difficulties when I'm at my worst.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It can't do any harm even if it does no good, can it? I'd suggest bullet points – the easier the reading, the more they're likely to read it. Also, I'd guess the more senior the work colleague, the more clout she'd have. Good luck, Slosh.

(Ask CAB?)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Get as many letters as you can Slosh, GP(I had to pay for this one), consultant, physio etc the more evidence you have the better xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Thank you for your suggestions. I must admit the fact mine is with Atos does not fill me with confidence!
    I will ask my GP for a letter, he has already agreed for me to put him as a contact when I completed my form, I presume I just explain why I want the letter, do I need to give details of the areas I struggle with at home?

I guess the same approach would be appropriate for my physio, explain why I would like a letter?

In terms of a letter from my consultant do you mean one specifically for my assessment? I have copies of my letters and did send off with my claim copies of what I had then. If you mean a letter in support of my claim how do I get this? Do I just write to him at the hospital?

I will ask my head as well as my colleague who shares an office with me.

Sorry for all the questions
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    What you are needing from any of them is proof of your condition and the severity of your pain. I take it your GP will have all this noted on your file have you told him about the things that you find difficult to do now? The Physio will also be able to confirm your surgery and be able to tell the severity of your pain. It sounds as if you my have enough evidence if you already have letters from the consultant, if you feel that is not enough either phone or email his secretary and explain the situation, I emailed my consultants secretary when I needed a letter and got one no problem. I have been in front of ATOS in the past and had to take them to a tribunal and they got there rear ends kicked for me even being there. When filling in the forms say it as it is the worst day you can imagine. Good luck Slosh let us know how you get on xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Thanks. I did fill in the forms like that, and also put in a diary. As well as my medical info I included my letters from Occupational health and my Access to work assessment.
    I'm also hoping I get my Occupational therapy assessment before then.As I did that application and diary before my return to work I have since completed another to show the impact of work on me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Hello Slosh,

Good luck with your assessment.

I had to attend mine alone also because everyone was at work.

Any supporting evidence would be very useful. Just remember, they ask you about certain things which affect you MOST OF THE TIME, rather than some times.

Ie,

Q can you cook yourself a meal

A well yes usually I can unless I have a flare up, in which case I can't.

Q How often do you flare

A once a month maybe, lasting for a week or so

So, the above answer means you CAN cook a meal MOST OF THE TIME, therefore you score zero for this question.

Just be careful how you answer, being diagnosed by your GP/consultant means nothing. It's all down to how you answer the blinking questions.

My assessment was rubbish, I scored zero on all counts but I asked for a reassessment and was awarded PIP eventually.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes Petals
  • Slosh
    Thanks for that. As I don't have RA I don't have flares but do suffer from what my GP describes as "chronic fatigue" which really means I struggle with cooking or even reheating something after a day at work. I will be sure to be careful with my answers though.
    Julian of Norwich