Hubbys gym visit

mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 26. Jan 2015, 14:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
His first session was a meet and greet and form filling then a one to one with an instructor who will tailor? his exercises to his medical history,height ,weight and blood pressure done,each group is limited to 12 people,from what i picked up on he will do standing and sitting exercises if after say four weeks they are happy with his progress they will up his plan,hubby thought he would be able to jump on gym equipment,the course is called active for life and is free for twelve weeks its run by the ymca and is i believe country wide ,if you stay the course and improve your fitness you will be able to use the ymca gym free for 1 year.His first proper session is monday morning.
I haven't signed up myself ,i was given the opportunity to ,he needs to do things on his own and not rely on me for everything ,if you remember he had a stroke and has a short term memory,balance problems and doesn't see too well,he's happy to do this on his own i will go and have a coffee maybe hair do and or nails done.Got to look for his shorts NO lycra. Mig

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds like a good plan, mig, and I think you're right to let him do it alone. (Though I bet he fibs about what he did :wink: ) So, he thought he was going to be Tarzan from the off, did he? Bless 'em. They never learn. Our friend who had a guided steroid injection in his hip last week found himself automatically running for a bus the other day :o
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have to say that this sounds very promising and I hope he enjoys it. I think it an excellent plan for him to be independent from you for this, he will have people around to call on if necessary. This is a good chance for you to have some proper 'me' time so make the most of it! I hope he achieves the required progress, and enjoys it enough to carry on with the support of the free year. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    It sounds a really good idea, Mig, and I hope your hubby gets a lot of benefit from going to the gym.

Make the most of your "Me Time."
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Lets hope he gets a lot of good from it mig and stays for the duration it will do the two of you the world of good xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    This is really good Mig..they have been recruiting at our local hospital..and it will hopefully give him more confidence....let us know how he gets on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    And how you get on too - while the cat's away etc :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    What a great idea mig!

It will do him the world of good - even if he won't be Arnold Swartzeneger (sp) just yet.....

p015.gif

It's good for you too to have some space for yourself.

Love

Toni xxx
  • mig
    We went shopping yesterday with middle son we went to a**a where I had seen that they had plimsolls for £4 as he hadn't got trainers he thought they would do tried them on said they would be ok after he had struggled with the laces son found something that was more like a trainer with Velcro fastenings so he tried them on said how much are they £8 we told him oh I'll manage with the plimsolls which are more comfortable our son asked him the £8 ones right we will have them I told him ,so his gear is ready ,I will go with him the first time take him to the door make sure he knows what he's doing then leave him to it ,I going to have a coffee in the coffee bar that is in our health centre next to the gym,he will meet me in there and we will go do a bit of shopping and I will make app to get my hair done next week ,since the stroke I always take him places the first time as he gets a little bewildered in new situations once he knows the routine he's fine.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    I am pleased he got the more expensive ones, he will be able to manage the putting-on-and-taking-off (good for self-esteem etc.) and comfort is important, especially in the gym.

So, we're all set? I know this isn't strictly a pocket-duty thing but may I come along too? Just for some extra moral support for you both? DD
  • mig
    All pocket dwellers welcome. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Right, I'm in - I'll bring a towel and some water :) . DD
  • stickywicket
    Good plan, mig. And the velcro will be much better.

I'm in too. I shall bring some binoculars just in case there's any decent lycra around :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Velcro rocks, I refuse to buy the girls laces because I find doing their shoes so tricky. I am at the point where I wonder why all shoes aren't velcro, so much more forgiving to deal with.
    I'm also in, especially if this cafe has a viewing point over the gym and there are some lycra clad gym bunnies to look at...not the ones who take lots of steroids but those lovely lean chaps whose bodies are a wonder to behold....ah, that's a nice mental image for a monday morning :D
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    glad he is all ready now Mig..I will be in your pocket ...there might be lots of lycra around...hope it all goes well for him..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    Sorry Ladies not a scrape of lycra around.
    It was rather like taking a reluctant child to school,quite funny really,He couldn't run when we got there as the instructor was there at the door to meet everyone,so i went to the cafe had a coffee and a toasted teacake ,then had a gossip with a neighbour who was going to the library ,very nice and relaxing. He came strolling in with his walking stick ,first time he has used it in public (didn't want anyone to see him with it ) declared it was ok and talked non stop about what they'd done how many were there and finally said you don't need to come with me next time i can manage on my own .RESULT
    He is now dozing. Mig
  • stickywicket
    YES :D:D:D I'll forgive you the non-lycra :wink: That's a great result and I hope it all continues in the same vein. Well done, both of you!
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh bless him! I am pleased it went well so let's hope this new-found confidence continues, yes? I am so pleased you enjoyed a gossip (nowt like it, eh?) and I hope next week goes just as well. ((( ))) DD