Exercises to strengthen foot following fusion

lizporter
lizporter Member Posts: 12
edited 28. Jan 2015, 06:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, :D
I had a fusion of my talonavicular joint 6 months ago. Because I am a theatre nurse, I have been unable to return to work until now. I am due to return to work next week on a phased return.
I have been weight bearing for 8 weeks, & walking without aids for 3 weeks.
I was not offered Physio by my consultant, despite my requesting this. :oops:
Could anyone give me some pointers for exercises to strengthen my foot, and to improve the range of movements.
I find it difficult to walk carrying heavy weights (eg shopping)
I also find standing for long periods of time (more than 1 - 2 hours) uncomfortable as my foot & heel swell up.
18 months before surgery, I used to hill walk, swim & cycle, before my foot became too painful.
Many thanks in anticipation
Liz :D
ps. I'm a 'naturally fit', skinny 54 yr old!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Liz. I do some very basic ankle exercises every day but you sound capable of a great deal more. (Most people are :lol: ) If you put 'exercises' into the Arthritis Care search engine in the pink box above quite a lot of stuff comes up.

You could always ask your GP to refer you to a physio. It might simply be a case of two sessions – one to give you the exercises and another to check that you're doing them correctly. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Liz
    Glad you have got the op over with , but now I suppose is the hard bit getting it strong enough for work..sorry Im not much help but I do wish you well ..x
    Love
    Barbara