Eeking out Humira

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 31. Jan 2015, 04:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm not sure if this is just in my head or if it is how these things go so I thought I would ask all of you. I do my Humira fortnightly and it does seem to be helping, not as much as the Enbrel but then I am not suffering giant allergic skin reactions either. On the last few days of the fortnight, before I take a dose, I notice that my body seems to start struggling again. I'm not sure if I am just mentally aware of the need for the next jab or if the arthritis has a little regroup as the Humira is lower in my body. Equally, as I am only on my fourth fortnightly dose, I am not sure whether this will alter over time and be better in a few weeks when it is more 'built up' in my system...any thoughts oh wise arthritics?
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi LV,Ive been on humira for two and a half years now and the same thing happens to me every time ,i get 10 excellent days then i start to feel it nibbling away at me so by the time its time to inject again i really need it,it seems to be par for the course for lots of people,I'm glad that its helping you.

How do the girls like the snow ? Mig
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Yes, me too, LV - my joints always let me know when it`s coming near to injection day.It`s usually on about the 11th day when I know I need my jab. I do know someone who is allowed to inject every 12 days, rather than 14, because it works more efficiently for her, but I`ve never asked if I can do that.

I`m glad it`s helping you.
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you Mig, that is so helpful and reflects exactly how I am finding it (plus you put it far better for me so I shall steal your words for my trip to the rheumy on Tuesday).
    The girls loved the snow, we built a snowman, made it crunch under our feet and then suddenly Tegen found her hands were cold (she did insist on holding snow) so she threw a huge wobbly, we went inside and had some hot vimto and all was well again. If they look out and see the snow covered car at night they get a bit worried and Summer spends ages saying 'car, car, car, car' over and over because she is worried something is wrong with it. Doesn't bother her during the day when she can see and recognise the white snow!
  • LignumVitae
    Thanks Tezz, I must have posted at just the same time as you. How odd that we all get that. I did wonder whether it was because I didn't expect it to be a fortnightly thing when I started. Still, I'll go for the 11 good days because they beat 14 rotten ones! I'll certainly mention it to the rheumy, I'm not sure I am organised enough to be able to keep up a 12 day cycle - I struggle to remember meth on a wednesday and humira every other friday!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Never done humira but at times I get the same thing with meth ie Tues and Wed can be a bit dodgy.

The world is a different place when you're little - both magical and scary. I can imagine Tegan's feelings - a bit like Tom & Jerry when someone steps unwittingly off a cliff but doesn't actually fall until they realise it :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I cant help LV, but I do wish you well on it..glad to see Mig could help and the others..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello LV,

I am on my second session of humira.
    The first was from 2008-2010 and the second from mid 2012 to now.
    In both sessions I have found that any slight drop in my wellbeing
    towards the end of the fortnightly periods subsequently disappeared
    the longer I injected. I dont notice any drops nowadays.
    Two bonuses for me is one I have an injection per two weeks againts
    the old regime of 56 tablets during the same period, and two, humira
    is a prescribed medication for my crohns disease, so I get two for
    the price of one or a bogoff, call it what you will.
    I'm happy with that.
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you all, that is so helpful to know (and hopeful in the case of it getting less of a gap Ichabod). I've noticed it with meth sometimes too but I just assumed it was my brain knowing I was getting to the point of needing to inject but it seems the arthritis knows when you are at the end of a dose and is sitting there lurking, evil mean spirited thing that it is.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I know nothing about humira but just wanted to say I'm pleased it's working for you, at least for 11 days out of 14 and so glad there are no nasty side effects this time.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I was told that it builds up in your system as time goes on so the gap should start to decrease.

I was certainly lucky enough to never suffer in between the fortnight injections and even after a THR when I had to stop for several months I was okay. I think a 6 week gap is about my limit.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I used to get five or six days of better mobility but now, thanks to the OA, that's reduced to two or three; the rest of the fortnight sucks. I have never experienced any kind of easing of the disease thanks to the anti TNF meds but that's probably because it was too long before I started them. It makes sense to me that there will be a tailing off, that's logical. I can understand the theory about it building up in one's system but for me it makes very little physical difference - at least the PsA is controlled. :roll: DD (who is trying to be grateful for a miniscule mercy :wink: )
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben