Hello, I'm Cate.

Cate
Cate Member Posts: 280
edited 11. Feb 2015, 13:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I'm Cate.

I have been reading the Forum for a very long time, so feel as though I already "know" some members.

I had a very successful TKR nine years ago, which effectively made me arthritis free. It was wonderful, but sadly it didn't last. First my left shoulder, then my right joined the party, and the pain frequently radiates up my neck and into my head. As a result, I am finding many things difficult, not least driving. Surgery is being contemplated. However as I am a widow, and my lovely family are quite a distance from me...not easy.

Thank you for reading....Cate.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to the Arthritis Care Forum from all the Moderation Team. We are volunteers and we each live with arthritis. If you have any questions let us know and we will try to help you become familiar with the forum.

New members often post here on Say Hello first, please start a new thread each time, then be brave and respond to any posts in any of the public forums where you will find a friendly, diverse group of members who will listen and offer support, advice and encouragement as well as chat and distraction from your cares and woes. It's easy to begin a new thread when you are ready, click on the new topic button at the top of the list of threads. Give as much information as you feel comfortable with, but never post your contact details in the forum, and think carefully before sharing such information by 'pm' or private message

Your first 2 posts will not immediately appear on the forum, instead they go into 'moderation', a place where a moderator will read your post and either approve or disapprove it. You will get a pm - personal message - either way. All posts from genuine new members will be approved - we moderate to remove as many 'spam' posts as we can before appear on the forum.

You will find the forum rules here
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/GetInvo ... orum-rules
    It's worth having a read of the rules before you make many posts just to get a feel of what is and isn't allowed.

Once again welcome, it's lovely to meet you, come on in!

MOD a
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. Arthritis is a stubborn disease, isn't it? You think it's been sorted out but it has other ideas. :roll: I can understand your concerns about further surgery, it's a daunting prospect even if your family are close by. Many of us on here find many things difficult so we do understand how frustrating life can be.

I hope you will continue to find the forum a useful place for information - now we can support you too! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Cate and welcome from me, too :) I'm sorry your arthritis has decided to make an unwelcome return. It must be very disappointing (not to mention painful) for you and I can well understand your fears for the future with your family so far away. Our two sons are in different countries(!) and no way could I visit either without my husband's help. In fact both are currently trying to persuade us to move near them – Scotland or California :D

I've had both knees and hips replaced. My neck moves very little but I have little or no back pain for which I'm grateful. From what I've read on here I get the impression that neck surgery is more to prevent things getting worse than to actually improve anything.

Can you adapt your car? I used to use my mirrors a lot and had other adaptions but I guess just time spent driving and concentrating would be a major factor.

Please join us on the other forums :) Not many look in here.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    Thank you DD and SW. You are both very kind.

Now that I've got me feet wet, so to speak, I'll head over to the other forums, as you suggest SW.....Cate.

PS. I think I'd be heading out to California and the sunshine, if I were you!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You're more than welcome, Cate, this is what the forum is about. It's not easy to take the plunge is it? Having read the forums for a while you may have a 'feel' for how it works so get stuck in, girl, we're here to help as much as we can! For what it's worth I reckon you have much to offer in that your knee replacement worked well for you (and for some time) so that will encourage those who are timid. None of us can say what the future holds but, for a lucky few, a new joint or joints means a new lease of life, and I reckon that is always a good thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben