Porridge and Jaffa cakes.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 13. Feb 2015, 05:42 in Community Chit-chat archive
The Spouse is going through a porridge phase at the moment, thanks to the fact that it's cold and he needs the valuable food fuel it provides. I loathe porridge (I was dairy-free as a child and am used to lovely dry food) but loathe even more the detritus he leaves behind - the gloopy, wallpaper paste muck I have to clear from the pan, the bowl and the spoon. It's all one big grey YUK of nasty stuff. :(

Today I went out and about then had to go and post a parcel. On the way out of the Post Office I felt a sudden longing for something sweet so bought a dozen Jaffa Cakes for one whole pound (and no, not from Poundworld). I have eaten six and hidden the rest because he does not have a sweet tooth. Neither do I but needs must - I think it's a girlie thing. :wink:

So which do you prefer?
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You keep putting up polls that I can't answer :mrgreen: :broken: Porridge or Jaffa Cakes? When? Where? Why? Jaffa Cakes do not fill you up and keep you warm and hunger-free all morning but then porridge is rubbish with afternoon tea.

I sometimes have porridge on cold mornings. No milk, just water, add raisins and shove in microwave. Just one lot of gloop and, if the bowl (spoon still in) is subsequently filled with water, the gloop will more or less pour away later.

Jaffa Cakes? Yeah, an occasional two with a cuppa. Six sounds a bit icky though.

However, the great advantage of jaffa cakes over porridge is that, after the former, I'm not running to the loo all morning :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    Ooh, Jaffa cakes, although if there's any Kitkats - especially the new caramel flavour - I prefer those!

Not being a porridge purist, I use the Oatso Simple sachets. Quite a few different flavours too. I love the Golden Syrup one. Add milk, bung in the microwave for three minutes, add some raisins, or prunes, and breakfast all sorted.....Cate.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    When i was little we had porridge but Mum put in great dollops of treacle to encourage us to eat it so any good it was doing was wiped out!

Nowadays i eat it without the treacle and it is just as nice.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I could eat six Jaffa cakes easily :o They're very expensive here so they're a rare treat.

I don't loathe porridge. It has to be cooked exactly right. though. I have it a few mornings a week. It's the most economical breakfast, apart from my home-grown eggs. I find when I eat porridge I'm not really very hungry until late afternoon. No other cereal does that. Then there's the fiber benefits too. Really good for you, Jaffa cakes are not :broken: .
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Porridge any day, save the jaffa cakes for elevenses!!!!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    No sticky gloopy pot for me this morning, he's gone for a breakfast meeting. :balloon:

My two eggs are ready - they might have a Jaffa chaser. :wink: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    decision decisions ..I love both , I do my porridge in the dish in the microwave and its proper porridge..love it with fruit... :balloon:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    There is no competition......
    Jaffa cakes all the way @;-)

I can eat a whole pack within minutes.... mmmmmmmmmm... now I want some
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    tjt6768 wrote:
    There is no competition......
    Jaffa cakes all the way @;-)

I can eat a whole pack within minutes.... mmmmmmmmmm... now I want some
    Tony, DD has half a packet stashed away..ask her nicely... :balloon:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Ask any way you want, tjt, but you will hear the same negative answer. :balloon: DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Porridge all the way, not into sweet things, I use microwave stuff a bowl and a spoon to wash up, no mess xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I want them jaffa cakes DD.. Perrrrrrleeèeease :balloon:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif