Spring is in the air.....

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 14. Feb 2015, 13:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just sitting on the puter surfing around, looked up as something caught my eye and its a very industrious wren flitting about. Further down the garden the rooks are in their nests and there has been a spotted woodpecker digging up the grass. Lots of blackbirds flying around, the 'wars' haven't started yet between the males. And that is a quick ten seconds of garden life!

p.s. think I heard a bat in the loft early this morning.

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Walking through my town centre, past the town hall, the grounds have some Crocus' popping up. They appear every year in a carpet. A few weeks, and they will be looking glorious. Robin, Chaffinch and a variety of Tits (hope that passes the censor) are practising their calls and songs. Can't wait for spring. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The daffs are budding, the lawn is littered with crocus (and more are blooming in the borders), the drive is snowdrop central and a blue tit investigated a nesting box within ten minutes of it being installed on the wall. My male blackbirds are fractious and short-tempered, and a wren hopped past the French windows and had a whale of a time in a recently cleared flower bed so yes, it's all happening in Suffolk! Isn't it a lovely time of the year? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    The daffodils are out in Barking and make a lovely sight as I drive past them to and from work, and the days are starting to lengthen so I'm no longer going to and from work in the dark.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You southerners get everything :roll: Up north it's still winter and the daffs have barely poked their noses above the soil. Last Sunday our local lake was entirely frozen apart from where the model boat owners had broken the ice. And the air is still icy :mrgreen:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    You Southerners !!! In the North East its still freezing....no sign of daffs yet up here :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I've got lots of snowdrops out, lots of daffodils have their leaves but only one bud, tulips all have leaves but no sign of buds and a short distance away lots of crocuses are out and flowering. Lots of bird song and I saw a starling hopping about with a mouthful of grass. I'm in the north-east.
    Christine
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Christine....I think Northumberland must be further behind Yarm :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Stickywicket, What do you mean by 'freezing'? We have only had a couple of mild frosts since way before xmas! :lol: I shouldn't gloat but we rarely get those long periods of cold, the sea keeps us warm and the hills protect us from the cold coming from inland.

Even found a butterfly yesterday, mind you it didn't want to fly far.
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope I am correct in remembering this fact from QI: spring begins in Cornwall and travels north at an average speed of four miles per day so yes, it does take some time for it to reach other parts of the country.

Here in East Anglia today has not resembled spring in any way: strong winds, a cloudy sky, far too many raindrops for comfort and a general sense of grey. It's horrid. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    By 'freezing', Airwave, I mean freezing :roll: When we returned from Christmas in Scotland our car was frozen up. We ran out of frost at the border then picked it up again about 3 miles from our house which is on a big hill. Apaprt from the odd day it has been ***** freezing ever since.

Typical that spring's on its way north. We're heading for Scotland again tomorrow :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    You're right DD. I heard that a few times. Ah, poor Sticky. Don't worry. Spring will catch up with you soon.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Christine....I think Northumberland must be further behind Yarm :wink:

Love
    Hileena

Us too, but I can see the tips of the crocus leaves peeping :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Our lawn is speckled with tiny crocus, white, purple and orangey-yellow: some of the latter are plain, others striped. They look lovely against the green. The mahonia outside the kitchen window is loaded with yellow flowers and the hellebores flanking the drive are very pretty as are the snowdrops. We've had one casualty though, a little cyclamen has popped its tiny earthen clogs. :broken: DD
  • applerose
    Yes Hileena, you are about 75 miles north of me. My mahonia has finished flowering and the flowers are dying off now DD. There were a pair of sparrows in the garden this morning gathering bits and pieces for their nest. One pair use my hedge and another pair use next door's eves.
    Christine
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Spring is my favorite time of the year not to warm or cold and all the buds and flowers appear...wonderful I cant wait..we do have March to get out the way first :jheart:
    Love
    Barbara