Recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis

Options
Jenny511
Jenny511 Member Posts: 2
Hi
I recently had a fall and following an X-ray was told that I have arthritis in the femur. I also have degenerative disc disease. I am having difficulty walking. I have had 5 sessions of hydrotherapy and do ok with the exercises, but walking is extremely painful. Will this get better and how long will this take. I am still employed full time but currently off sick and have been for a month.
Thanks
Jenny

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Jenny, from the moderation team.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards. The helplines forum isn't staffed 'out of hours', but they will certainly reply to your post tomorrow morning.

Of course you are welcome to join in on any of the other forums in the meantime - our members are very supportive and have a wealth of experience to offer.

Best wishes

Moderator AC
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Jenny511 wrote:
    Hi
    I recently had a fall and following an X-ray was told that I have arthritis in the femur. I also have degenerative disc disease. I am having difficulty walking. I have had 5 sessions of hydrotherapy and do ok with the exercises, but walking is extremely painful. Will this get better and how long will this take. I am still employed full time but currently off sick and have been for a month.
    Thanks
    Jenny

Dear Jenny,

I'm sorry to hear about your fall, the difficulties over your back and (knee?). It can vary from person to person how long it may take to get stronger. One of the tricky things after a fall can be how your confidence might feel.

There are self management issues that are helpful to understand when you are managing arthritis. The rate that arthritis develops is affected by general health and lifestyle - eating a balanced diet to manage bodyweight is key. Also doing plenty of gentle exercise every day helps keep the supporting muscles in good condition and helps to manage pain.

Your GP or the physiotherapist can discuss with you if there are any things about your self management which might need addressing to speed up your recovery. Sometimes it can just take time - but I do realise that can be frustrating.

If you'd like some informal support or general information, you are welcome to ring Helplines, or if you'd like an information pack please email your details to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk (do tell us what information you'd particularly like.)

On the Forum thread - Living with arthritis you can share and receive peer support too.

I hope that is helpful

Kind regards

Guy