Second Class Citizens?

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 27. Feb 2015, 16:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
I don't blame you southerners – really, I don't – but sometimes I do get brassed off with our second class status up north.

The latest manifestation is the proposal to replace our ancient trains with.... old London Underground trains which were heading for scrap until some bright spark at Vivarail decided they would be 'an affordable way' to replace aged Pacer trains which were built in the 1980s and were originally intended as a short-term solution to a shortage of rolling stock, but remain in use today.

Apparently, dumping London's rubbish on us will work out 'a third cheaper than new ones and bringing them north will provide extra seats.' ( :? Are we now so deprived we're skinnier than our southern counterparts?)

Why can't we have the new ones? What's so special about London?

Anyone fancy forming the Republic of Northern England party?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I`ll join you Sticky - not that I want to start a war, but surely we`re entitled to something better than cast-offs?

It`s funny, but my daughter-in-law hadn`t been up north until she met my son (younger son ) and had a rather peculiar idea of what to expect. She said she had no idea how beautiful it was, was so pleased she could understand the language (!!) and had no intention of leaving. They`ve been living very happily in York for almost 15 years now.

Mind you, on a visit to Bamburgh her shriek as she `dipped her toes in the sea` was loud enough to be heard down South!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Yes count me in ..we don't want cast off..now if it was steam it would be acceptable.. :jheart: we have a couple of southerners living nearby because of house prices..wounder what they would say...
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Well I'm sure that it won't come as a surprise to anyone on here that...... I'M IN YOUR STICKINESS.. :D let's show them southerners that they can't just dump their rusty rubbish up here!!!
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Where do I sign, Sticky?

And I agree, Barbara, steam would be wonderful!

Meg
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    to be honest sticky the new train and buses in London are not that brilliant they are all supposed to have easy disabled access :) but believe me whoever sat designing them has no clue at all :roll: they have certainly never asked a disabled or wheelchair user what they need because the word easy access is laughable to be honest for example they have just put a new style of bus on the route I use the most and I cannot walker down the aisle unfolded. :roll: I have to ask the drivers if I can use the back doors and be subjected to moaning because they say I should be able to get down the isle because it was designed to make access better for the disabled. :lol::lol:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • stickywicket
    Well, it looks like we have the beginnings of a NERPs party, then :D (Motto: "Put t' wood in th' 'oil yer dozy wassock!")

Tezz, I'm so pleased your dil discovered we do have beauty now that we've stopped shoving our kids up sooty chimneys and, indeed, we do have baths now that we've removed the coal.

Turbogran - I'm firmly of the opinion that all 'disabled' stuff is designed by the able-bodied who haven't a clue. So, if your rollator won't fit their 'disabled-friendly' aisle it's your fault :o Try my late Mum's solution. A very gentle, timid person until she hit her '90s, she tended to use hers as a battering ram. It was amazingly effective :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I'm in. Why should we have their cast-offs? And can we ship our dilapidated broken things down there? We could do a swap. I love steam trains too Barbara. It's always the case Carol that people who have no experience do the designing. :?
    Christine
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Not quite a northerner, but definitely NOT a southerner (Derby/Notts border). I'm definitely pro north, and If I ever lost my East Midlands status and had to choose whether to be north or south, I'd become a northerner. This might be because most of my family originate from north Derbyshire and north Notts. So I would definitely join the RNEP. :balloon:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:lol:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    I live in the midlands and I would prefer to class my self with the norther half of the country rather than the south, I find southerners seem quite stuck up lol....

(especially when they hear a thick yam yam accent like mine lol)

I am all for recycling and all but I am also for equality, its not fair to send cast off's somewhere and have new in London at all.

I think we should have our own group indeed.... I am with you sticky!!! :)
  • stickywicket
    Due to unforeseen demand, I think we might have to make it the Northern England and Midlands Republic.

Or, should we just re-draw the Scottish Border 8)
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Aaaarrggghhh... don't go blending us with those strange people way above the border stickiness :shock: :o
    Lol
    We are strong enough workout them. Can I be head of security? :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    :? Maybe not, Tony. Those 'strange people' include my son, daughter-in-law and grandson. The former two are English by birth but the latter is a very much a proud Scot. i think you and he might come to blows - and he doesn't have arthritis :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Ahem. I was born in Glasgow and so was my mum. My son-in-law was born in Fife. We're all keeping an eye on you Tony. :loverain:
    Christine
  • tjt6768
    Lol. .
    I ain't scared of a man in a skirt :o:o:lol::wink:

I love Scotland to be honest.... And everyone we have ever met there have been lovely. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP