Hello. Newly diagnosed, in need of ankle supports.

Options
Heatherb
Heatherb Member Posts: 7
edited 23. Feb 2015, 10:40 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I've been recently diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle. Advanced for my age at 47. The doctor has recommended ankle supports so before I rush off to Boots or Amazon thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommendations.
Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Heatherb from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes
    from modonfridays
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi there Heather and welcome to the forum :) I've had RA and OA for many years. My ankles have now fused themselves but I have used supports. I just bought the bogstandard neoprene ones and found them good enough for me.

The one thing that is usually said about any support is not to wear them for too long at a time because the muscles then decide they're no longer needed and, with weak muscles, pain levels increase. So I'd use mine for walking eg round the supermarket but then take them off when I got home.

i think you'll get more replies if you re-post this on the Living With Arthritis forum. Not many people look in on here. Good luck :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Heatherb
    Heatherb Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice.
    Heather
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I used to use knee supports but, as Sticky said, you should only use supports for short periods of time. I regularly do my post-op exercises and some others to keep my muscles as strong as possible. I have OA in both knees and both ankles (thanks to the knees!) and it ain't fun! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Heatherb and a warm welcome for me
    Sorry I cant help with the ankle supports, but if you post in living with arhtrtis I am sure someone will be along that can help..
    Love
    Barbara