First timer

Twig1000
Twig1000 Member Posts: 3
edited 26. Feb 2015, 05:30 in Say Hello Archive
hi all,just wanted to say hi to everyone, as only just been told that I have osteoarthritis of my hip. Bit unsure of what to do next ,as thought I was young (46) , but reading on here I'm not really and my go said not a lot can be done, as in medication.thanx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Twig1000 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Twig
    Welcome......glad you've found us.
    Was it a rheumatology/someone in the hospital that diagnosed OA?.....if so from then on it will be your GP that deals with it .....usually with medication or referrals to whoever they think might help.
    One bit of advice....when you go to the hospital to see a consultant or whoever, ask to be copied into the correspondence.
    They will write to your GP after they see you and its interesting to know what they have written
    Love
    Hileena
  • Twig1000
    Twig1000 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you both ,Helena ,it was my renal consultant who got my hip x Ray ,due to my pain and hobble not easing after several months,and it showed moderate wear, but my gp is only suggesting paracetamol and given me a number for physio . I dare say I'll be around on here again soon x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. It is GPs that deal with osteoarthritis (OA) and, truth be told, there is not a great deal to be done until surgery may be deemed necessary (the joint has to deteriorate to a certain extent before that may happen). The 'treatment' involves pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory medication, and gentle exercise to keep the muscles surrounding the joint as strong as possible to better support the joint, and to keep the joint as flexible as possible.

OA is very common, there are between eight - ten million arthritics in the UK, the majority of whom have OA. People mistakenly associate it with the elderly but arthritis does not discriminate - people in their late teens can experience its onset. I have a creaky foot in both camps, the joint damage from my auto-immune version has led to OA in my ankles, knees and hips which is pretty uncomfortable! I hope we can help with information and support but once arthritis has moved in it rarely moves out - we all know how tough it can be. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Twig1000 and welcome from me too.

I guess it must have come as a bit of a shock to discover you have arthritis. As the others have said, there's not a lot to do, really, other than keep moving it and keeping those muscles strong. That will slow down the deterioration and lessen the pain. Swimming is good exercise (though not the breast stroke kick).

And you can always come on here for a chat :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Twig1000 and a warm welcome form me..what a shock you must have had, I was in my 50s when I had probs with my hips..glad you have joined us it can be so daunting when you are first diagnosed...hope to see you around very soon..
    Love
    Barbara