Does anyone else bird watch??

charleeh
charleeh Member Posts: 173
edited 3. Mar 2015, 12:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone else on here goes bird watching?

I go as often as my body will allow, I have just moved house and am trying to attract some birds to my garden, have planted lots of different plants to attract the birds but now do not have the patience to wait for them to grow!! :lol:

I hear goldfinches all the time, we have had 2 blackbirds after worms when we did the garden and I have a wood pigeon that comes every day for his lunch of seed.

Only had 1 blue tit on the feeder station and 1 great tit..... nothing for them to perch in as yet to feel safe !!

Love to hear from any other birders!

best wishes,
charleeh

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Quite a few of us took part in the bird watch a few weeks ago ,we often chat about the birds in our gardens but i don't think any of us are twitchers. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I love watching the birds in our garden but that's about it. I think it was CJ Hunter on here who did a lot of birdwatching but she doesn't post any more. Why not start a thread like the gardening one?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Like most on here, we try to 'invite' birds into our garden with a bird feeder, nuts, mealworms and fat sprinkles. We have a resident Blackbird who waits for OH to put fresh food out, then comes down to eat it. He sometimes allows his wife to come down to - but not at the same time.

We also have wood pigeons, but try to discourage them as they (and the starlings) pinch all the best food. We love it when the Robin visits, and sometimes have Blue Tits, Great Tits and the occasional Long Tailed Tit. Also noticed a Dunnock down among the bushes a couple of times. We only have a tiny garden, so we are doing pretty well really.

Good idea of Sticky's, start a bird watching thread. I'm sure lots would post in it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I`m another who derives much pleasure from watching the birds in the garden. We have the usual blackbirds, blue tits, chaffinches and a really cheeky robin. Not keen on the woodpigeons - too greedy.

We were astonished one day last year to look out of our dining-room window to see a sparrowhawk sitting on the back of the seat at the far end of the garden. We only saw him the once.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We were once sitting out when a noise like a low-flying plane shot past our ears. A sparrow hawk had dived down and attemped to pick up a pigeon. The pigeon got away minus a lot of feathers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I enjoy watching the birds in my garden while I'm washing up. I have a blackbird couple who bring the babies when they're ready to fly, some sparrows, a wren, a robin, lots of starlings, some bluebirds, a couple of pigeons and the occasional crow. Like the others, I discourage the big birds as it means the little ones only get the leftover crumbs.
    Christine
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello charleeh
    We bought two bird feeding stations last year and am enjoying seeing all the birds feeding, and have bought the RSVP book to identify some of them..the ones I do know..are the robins ,blue tits, 2 Little rare sparrows...black birds..and the pigeons that take all the food.. :lol: a few others I need to look up... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Just going to open the back door to take rubbish out and theres a sparrow hawk sat on the fence watching the birds in a tree who were making an awful racket,after watching for a while he took off after one,he missed,he's sitting on next doors garage now but theres not a bird to be seen. Mig
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

I am not a twitcher so to speak although I have been known to go on the odd twitch lol ;) I am lucky as me and the OH have a hobby in common - its all good until he decides he is in a rush and I can't keep up with him lol

I will start a thread on the birds in the garden then :)

I mean lets face it, they cheer us up by entertaining us jumping around bathing and nibbling spiders in the garden when we are poorly and stuck indoors don't they!! ??

:D

Best wishes,
    Charleeh x