Employer refuses me time off for hospital appointment.

Options
lee67
lee67 Member Posts: 11
Hi,
I suffer from osteoarthritis in my thumb.
I've just gone back to work after 4 weeks off due to hand surgery and I have an hospital appointment to see the hand therapist but my employer says I'm not allowed.
I've read that they can refuse drs, dentists and hospital appointments. ...as this is part of my recovery are they allowed to refuse me time off?.
I have no paid holidays left as I used them all for the recovery period after my op.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm no expert on these matters, Lee, but I think the answer is yes, the employer can refuse to pay you for time off. If the thumb problem can be classed as a disability, though, it's not so straightforward. Have a look here http://www.workingrights.co.uk/what-are-rights-regarding-hospital-appointments.html
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Sticky is correct. However, I was wondering if there is a way to resolve this. Do you have flexible working hours? It might be possible to negotiate a few hours off work for a hospital appt if you make up the hours another time. It's definitely worth talking to your HR department and getting some advice.
  • PatientNL
    PatientNL Member Posts: 5
    Options
    legally this is disability discrimination