Aurora alter tonight

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 19. Mar 2015, 09:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all just thought I'd pop online to tell you there a very good chance to see the Northern lights tonight, for most of the UK to see them the Kp value needs to be above 7, at this point in time its at 7.3 and predicted to rise to nearly 8.7 over the next hour, night sky forecast is also very good i.e. no or little cloud. Below are two links I use to check on weather and storm flux level.

http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

Good Aurora hunting.

Mellman.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    think I'm a bit late seeing this Mell.. :roll: but thanks..I am hoping we see the eclipse on Friday.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thanks Mel, there was lots of heavy cloud around here - isn't that always the case when it's something magical? I reckon I'll see the eclipse though, East Anglia is due to lose about 85% of daylight between 9 and 11am whereas in Lerwick (I think) they stand to lose around 99%. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Well remember to run out banging pots and pans together to scare the sun eating dragon away DD!, sorry I'm being a tad daft aren't I?, we did manage to see it but we had to go all the way to Uffington White Horse hill which is an hour away from here, high up was best as the ground mist was fairly thick, while we were there we got several text alters for the whole of the UK, I'd even been on the radio talking about it at 5.30pm as radio Oxford are holding an astronomy week so I thought I'd give them a heads up, I was bricking it I can tell you but it worked and people did see it thank God, now as you say DD next biggie is Friday!.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, Mell, and I'm sorry I'm so late in replying. I did try but far too much cloud cover here. I'd really love to see an aurora.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Did I get that right? was our Mellman on the radio? Is he famous?? :?

Love

Toni xxx