What's next after a sulph + meth combo?

lyinglow
lyinglow Member Posts: 20
edited 24. Mar 2015, 04:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Lo,

Does anyone have any knowledge of what could be next med wise after 6x sulph daily and 25mg meth weekly? I know everyone is different but this combo is just not working.

Been taking this for under a year now (meth 1.5y) and my knee is still inflamed most of the time. I have a few days every other month or 2 where it reduces and I think 'yessss the meds are working' then it comes back on again. It's really doing my head in!

Thanks.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome to the forum..
    Sorry I cant give you any advice I don't take those meds, its Sunday and a nice day, so very quiet at the min, hopefully someone will be along later..I do wish you well with whatever they prescribe next and hope it helps.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, in my case it was sulph, meth and an anti-inflammatory, then it was sulph, leflunomide and an anti-inflammatory then sulph, cyclosporine and an anti-inflammatory. Once I had failed on three DMARDs I was then granted access to the anti TNFs. I am now on my third, humira, together with - yes, you guessed it - meth and sulph. I only need the occasional anti-inflammatory now and that is for my OA which has set in thanks to the joint damage caused by my PsA.

The thinking is now a little more advanced: you may be offered and anti-TNF now rather than a change in DMARD. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I really don't know. Not only are we all different but so are our rheumatologists and different ones might try different solutions.

Plus, it all depends on what you mean by “my knee is still inflamed most of the time”. If your inflammation levels measure low then, whatever your knee looks and feels like, the meds will be deemed to be working. Maybe a steroid jab will be offered.

If the meds aren't working, though, another might be added either in pill form (leflunomide?) or an injectable one such as humira or enbrel.

I don't think we can really second guess these things. When do you next see your rheumatologist?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Is that injectible or tablet meth? The former tends to be more effective because it is more easily absorbed...I think what next would be a review with your rheumy to discuss where you are at. For me, at the stage of 12 months of meth it was a steriod injection to calm everything down, they helped enormously along with meth and anti-inflammatories for a good number of years.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • lyinglow
    lyinglow Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for all the replies :) I take tablet meth once a week.

In the past 6-7 months I've had my knee drained 2-3 times and injections after. The most they drew out at any time was about 120ml I think and the last was around 30ml (few weeks ago). The steroid has only lasted max 2 weeks but when I was younger it really helped everything go away.

When I was in a few weeks ago for my last drain and steroid (lasted 10 days). I then phoned up requesting a further appointment specifically asking to change my meds as this has been going on for a while now and the nurse also said that they don't seem to be working. Got appointment for 20th (Friday) which I cancelled on the Thursday morning as my knee had looked like it was on the mend... And then...... on the 20th it ballooned again! Typical!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Never cancel a rheumatology appointment. They're much too hard to come by and the arthritis is always earwigging :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Any measure of inflammation in any joint is wrong, joint spaces are not built to accommodate it. My knee aspirations would relieve some the inflammation for a couple of months (it would return) but the injected steroid never achieved anything beyond three days of a slightly easier life. I trust you rest the joints properly for around 48 hours after the procedure?

It would appear that you are not on enough of anything to subdue your arthritis to a sufficient degree. I agree with Sticky - never cancel an appointment, especially for the reason that things have slightly improved because - and this is worth getting to grips with - that improvement is very rarely maintained, and then only by the right meds. I think that your account of your past few months demonstrates that very well. You did the right thing in making the appointment - I hope you are able to make another because I reckon you need a meds review. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben