Is it me?

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 25. Mar 2015, 07:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Last week we chose a new oven, as ours was 15 years old and beginning to need repairs. Having been satisfied with our oven, I chose the same brand, though obviously a newer model. It was fitted yesterday, and I'm still wading through the manual.

Is it just me, or are there others who look at instructions written in technical jargon and lots of diagrams,who get that sinking feeling and want to shout "Help?"

I peer at the page, the dials, then hopefully push the button, then I stand watching, hoping the right thing happens.

I have made some cheese scones and just put them in to bake - watch this space!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can just about cope with 4-5 pages of a manual but what causes an instant disconnect in my brain cells is numbers, in particular financial numbers. I do have an ancient maths O-level and I am perfectly able to add, subtract, multiply and divide but my brain just freezes, sinks and nips off to watch the cricket :roll:

I hope the new cooker is a good 'un. Please may I have a scone while they are warm :D (Where's the salivating icon when you need one?)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    No its not just you, the instructions on my washing machine are 20 pages long..so like you I just push buttons and hope for the best, them my OHs has a go....don't ask.. :o 6 months old now and I am getting the jist of 3 of the programs..and no I didnt choose it.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    We'll, I'm pleased it's not just me! Why does everything have to be so complicated these days?

Barbara - I dread the washing machine coming to the end of its life : I don't fancy getting to grips with another new kitchen item.

SW, the scones actually look OK, but as yet, untasted by myself, just hubby, who said they were fine. This is not necessarily a recommendation, as he would eat anything. If I could bridge cyber space I would send you one.
  • stickywicket
    Ah yes! The male 'hoover' method of eating. I bet they're good anyway.

For the record, my ancient Bo*sch finally gave up the ghost and I bought a new one. Cheapest they had. Easy to understand apart from why the 'eco' cycle takes twice as long as the 'non-eco' :?
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I tend to just push buttons and hope for the best too. So far, so good. I've noticed that the lower the temperature in the washer, the longer the wash. No idea why that should be. When I was looking for a new washer a few months ago, I found most of them took 3 hours to do a 40 degree wash. I managed to find one which only takes 2 hours but I use the short wash mostly - 1 and 1/2 hours.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Something to do with the water temperature and the environment I think :roll:

We had our kitchen done a couple of years back and I have a BOX FILE full of information on all the appliances :shock:

Only referred to in case of emergency ;)

Hope the scones were really lovely xxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    We have a power cut, the clock on the oven goes out and has to be re-set. Mass panic here - where's the flaming instruction book? We've been here 5 years now (we inherited the cooker) and I still can't re-set the clock without the book.

You are not on your own.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • charrisse
    charrisse Member Posts: 89
    Instruction books?!! I have a whole drawer full of them!
    I do have a sort out every so often and am always surprised how much thicker they get as the years go by especially with all the added language pages and usually the GB one ends up being just a few sentences anyway.

I had a new microwave recently.. the old one I turned a switch to the desire amount of time and hey presto! This one ..1/ choose prog (peers closely at machine) 2/ Time needed for certain products ( close scanning of tiny pics) 3/ press start (at least that one was relatively easy!) :lol:
    All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Our dishwasher came with an epic manual. It has an on/ off switch, a start switch and a dial with five settings (four of which are gimmicks). Mr LV read the instructions and gets very concerned about salt and rinse aids. I didn't read the instructions, the dishwasher is easy to operate and use, not reading it means I haven't wasted money on products my very soft water excludes me from needing.

I work on the basis that the manual is there for emergencies but usually only required for finding the number to call for an engineer, be it the boiler, the washer or the dishwasher.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    I work on the basis that the manual is there for emergencies but usually only required for finding the number to call for an engineer, be it the boiler, the washer or the dishwasher.

Much like the side-effects leaflets, really :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I must admit but I'm a swot! I always read the instruction manuals as my OH doesn't and if he calls because he hasn't a clue which button does what I can explain and also if I forget what does what! They do a lot of the manuals online now. It's good in case you lose the manual!