Permission to feel slightly smug please

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 28. Mar 2015, 15:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
I really do but I feel dreadful for feeling smug. My nephew only eats rice and pancakes given a chance, my friend's daughter prefers toast and jam. My two, I assume because of the competition of a same age sibling, hoover up anything and everything, even stuff I'm not particularly keen on. Things are rarely refused outright and we are yet to have a particular food rejected after a few tries with it. Part of it is I don't make a big fuss over food, the plate is put down, if it is cleared that's great, sometimes they don't eat well adn usually that indicates that they are poorly or teething or overtired or full of Grandma's cake and biscuits. Tomorrow is another day and usual service is always resumed eventually.

Last night my little Summer had a tantrum at dinner because she wanted more...broccoli :shock: . I feel rather smug, this has to be unusual behaviour for a nearly two year old. She had by then finished her roast dinner but there's always space for a bit more broccoli isn't there?! Tegen ate all hers too but there were no cries for more from her, she had her eyes on cake.
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Permission readily granted :D

I had two omnivores and I also came from a family where the choice was 'take it or leave it'. If you left it someone else would have snaffled it up before you had chance to change your mind. Plus, if you left your main course it was assumed you wouldn't have a pudding either. We were quick learners.

I was amazed to discover that my boys' schoolfriends often only ate fish fingers or sausages, chips, and baked beans or frozen peas. I was stunned to discover that some parents actually cooked separate meals for their little darlings.

I think you are in a win / win situation, LV. Keep up the good work.

(At my grandson's Day Care broccoli was 'little trees' and they were very popular.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    When my (now 15) grandson was a toddler, my daughter would stand with him in front of the supermarket freezers while he decided between sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower or cabbage. Other mum's stood in amazement. Carrots were always on the menu. His younger brother though had to have all veggies mixed in with mash potato - but at least he ate them if he couldn't see them. :lol:

Yep, I think smugness is permitted LG.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Permission granted, LV. My OH is one of 7, so had to eat whatever was served up to him or it would be passed on to one of the others. My parents were of the `take it or leave` it school of thought, so our own sons grew up without fads or fancies, likewise our grandsons - the youngest of whom has a real `thing` about broccoli and would eat it with everything! I do find this strange, and the older one would eat carrots until they came out of his ears, but prefers them raw.

I always think it`s such a joy to see young children clean their plates without any fuss or pickiness.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    You have every right to feel smug LV..that's the clue don't make a fuss over food..you seem to have a real aptitude for this mum business :lol: ..I have never had to do it with two at a time :o , so I take my hat off to you... :D x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Permission granted, LV. Well done you. You've obviously got the right approach to mealtimes.

Our four-year-old granddaughter has always been a poor eater, even from being a baby. She will now eat pasta (usually), but any veg/protein has to be disguised and smuggled in. Vitamin supplements have helped with her overall health. On the other hand, her nearly two-year-old brother has always eaten everything in front of him and he loves broccoli, too. I was astonished when I found out.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Well done LV. Of my two Grandsons one is fussy, but the other will eat anything except chips!

I always remember my Nephew being incredibly fussy when younger, at one stage all he would eat was luncheon meat. Didn't do him any harm though long term as not only is he a real foodie now but has a degree and masters from Oxford and his Doctorate is from Cambridge!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    I do think it is more down to luck than anything we have done. I've never been bothered in cooking them a separate meal, if we have curry I add yoghurt to theirs to cool it a bit, that's about it. Still, it is lovely to have them demand broccoli, when I watch the efforts my brother and sister in law go to in order to get my nephew to eat something that isn't a carbohydrate I don't think I could be bothered or have the time to mess and bargain so much. I always think if they end up refusing food and miss a meal then they will just be more hungry next time. So far that has worked well. Dessert isn't always offered but if it is then the requirement is a finished meal first. Only once did we have a Tegen meltdown when she wouldn't eat her main course and didn't get a dessert. It's an easy lesson when your sister is munching through a second bowl of meringue.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Excellent LV.. Sounds like you are a great mum indeed. :D
    Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,395
    Well-done Lignumvitae :D

I used to feel smug when Lucy at a similar age would eat red peppers as you would an apple :)

Keep up the good parenting - it's extremely hard you will find you are swimming against the tide :roll:

Love and ((()))

toni xxx
  • LignumVitae
    Thank you both. Frog, if I can be an incy wincy bit as good at parenting as you then I'll be satisfied! I'm with Lucy, red peppers are delicious and I happily eat them like that.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    frogmorton wrote:
    I used to feel smug when Lucy at a similar age would eat red peppers as you would an apple :)

My younger son loved apples from the word go. When asked, aged 3, by his Grandma what he'd got for Christmas he delightedly informed her "An apple."

Other fruit and veg are available. I like yellow peppers best :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    :D

You can feel very smug Lignumvitae

As I said you will be swimming against the tide, but I'm sure you'll do ok ;)

When I inherited my step-daughter she ate only chips. Really. Occasional chocolate and strawberries, but really only chips :roll:

She eats everything now :)

YELLOW peppers - lovely Stickywicket :) An apple for Christmas? LUXURY!!!!

hehehehe!

xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've always preferred my broccoli raw (the same with sprouts too, absolutely yummy!) Feel as smug as you wish, my lovely, you deserve it because your sensible no-nonsense approach to parenting is to be admired. Far too many parents seem to be in thrall to their brattish offspring - I've always taken the view that the parents are the boss. I am very thankful that in my childhood my parents were never my friends, they were my parents and were respected as such. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've always preferred my broccoli raw (the same with sprouts too, absolutely yummy!) Feel as smug as you wish, my lovely, you deserve it because your sensible no-nonsense approach to parenting is to be admired. Far too many parents seem to be in thrall to their brattish offspring - I've always taken the view that the parents are the boss. I am very thankful that in my childhood my parents were never my friends, they were my parents and were respected as such. DD

Hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!