Need advice ASAP!

angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 25. Mar 2015, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I have been absent from the forum for a few months (don't always post, but like to read)

Not really sure where to start..but really struggling at the moment. I lost my mum 5 weeks ago..one minute she was here..and then 1 month later she was gone..I looked after her at home for the last few days of her life and it was awful..I think I have been running on adrenaline this past couple of months and feel at the lowest I have ever felt..

I am struggling with PAIN..which I feel has gone from not too bad to horrendous within a short space of time..groin pain..which is affecting my lower back too on both sides & knee pain which I cannot put weight on. How can it just get so bad so quickly?

I have been managing so far with Ibruprofen and co-codamol...but it wont touch the pain anymore..I have made a appointment with my GP next week and need to know what my options are from here...which is where you knowledgable people may be able to help. I have never had nsaids apart from Naproxen which made me feel sick, so I stopped taking it.

I feel I need some help with what I should be asking for in terms of pain relief, pain clinic etc.

If anyone can give some advice before my appointment I would be very grateful...sorry for the long and depressive post..

Angilee

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello. Firstly I am so sorry to read about your Mum, it's never an easy time and I empathise. ((( )))

Secondly, stress of any kind helps us to run on adrenaline but when that departs we are suddenly running on 'empty' and everything seems so much harder and more painful. What strength of co-cos are you taking? And what form or dose of Ibuprophen? (Am I right in thinking you have OA? I apologise for not remembering. :oops: ) I am pleased you are seeing your GP soon, please tell him / her everything because increased pain relief may not be all that is on offer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angilee
    Hi DD,

Yes, Osteo..in hips, knee and fingers. Dont know if the lower back pain is from osteo or caused by the hips!

Think I need to know how to handle my appointment..what I am entitled to ask for etc. When you say "there might be more on offer" what is meant by that?

Co-codomol- 200mg
    Ibuprofen- 200mg

Thank you for your support DD

Angilee
  • dreamdaisy
    Obviously there is stronger pain relief but they don't sort the essential issue, they just remove you from the pain, not vice-versa. I am guessing that you still have a fair bit of sorting out to be done? A house to be cleared and / or sold perhaps? I would not be surprised if you are offered either something to help you sleep or an anti-depressant. I refused the first but am on a daily low dose of Citalopram to help me manage my depression (present before my Ma died) and to help me better cope with my pain levels (which causes the depression). I began it in 2011 when my OA was diagnosed (I also have psoriatic arthritis) and it was increased for a short while when Mr DD was in hospital in January 2013 and my hips chose that time to join my OA party. DD
  • angilee
    Hi Again DD,

Fortunately, I do not have that task to sort out...mum was in rented house owned by my sister. I would not say I was suffering from depression at this point..I might be wrong! The issue is the severity of the pain and how it has become so in a short space of time. I walk regularly on the hills to keep my sanity in check..and need to sort out pain relief to enable me to carry on doing that...as well as everyday tasks. I am visiting the GP for this reason alone...I would be the same as you and decline anti-depressants anyway.

Angilee
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. That must have been an awful shock and, yes, arthritis and shock are not happy bedfellows.

You have had NSAIDS because ibuprofen is one. Do you also take a stomach protecting med with it? If you are taking any NSAID regularly you should and you might find that, with one, you could tolerate naproxen.

Are you sure about your cocodamol dosage? To the best of my knowledge they come in three strengths. All contain 500mgs paracetamol but some contain 8mgs codeine, some 15mgs and some 30 mgs.

There are other pain-relieving meds available. Also a Pain Clinic referral, referral for physio, acupuncture, hydrotherapy etc. I personally think it's best to see what the docs suggest rather than go in prepared to say what I want. They are the experts after all. I think I'd be (briefly) saying what had happened and what was still required of me in terms of energy. Then I'd see what was offered. I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I declined the sleepy things but planned to take the anti-deps for a short time to help me come to terms with the OA diagnosis: my rheumatologist pointed out the longer term benefits and I do find that if I miss a couple of doses because I think I'm doing OK I become more aware of the hurty things.

I had to do arrange the cremation, do the probate, sell the house and it all coincided with Mr DD doing the same for his late Ma: it was a stressful time, plus we sold our house and moved to boot! DD
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    I'm really sorry to hear your sad news. I also empathise with your description of your pain, my pain is in exactly the same place as yours. I take Dihydracodeine which seems to help with my sleep. I hope your doctors appointment goes well and he can offer you something to help with your pain. Deb
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I'm so very sorry to hear about your mum - a very traumatic time for you. Having lost both my parents I can well understand you running on adrenalin. The trouble is, everything catches up with you, and the effect is rather like that of a balloon bursting - you come crashing down and then pain hits you.

I'm glad you're seeing your GP - tell him/her everything. I had a sleeping pill for 2/3 nights, as I was the one who found my dad, & relived it every time I closed my eyes.

He/she may suggest a different plan for pain. I get groin pain sometimes, and was told it's from my hip.

Hope your appointment goes well.
  • angilee
    Hi Bridesmum,

Thank you so much for your support...it is good to know there are people who understand this arthritis pain...I am just at a loss to understand why it has got so bad all of a sudden in the last few months? I personally don't think it is connected in any way to what happened with mum.

Angilee
  • angilee
    Hi Teresak,

It is interesting that you say everything catches up with you! I cannot see the connection myself...but I am no expert!

A few months ago the pain was bearable and I could still do what I wanted to do...now it has become so bad! I don't really understand.

Thank you for your support

Angilee
  • dreamdaisy
    As an old hand at this the reason you are feeling as you do is plain. The initial stresses have passed, the adrenaline has dropped off and as a result you are now more aware of you and what is happening. That awareness has been 'dulled' due to other pressures but now it has come back to the fore. I lasted seventeen hours on Saturday (which took three days of preparation with the meds but it was for fun reasons) and have been paying the price ever since - it's called 'payback'. It comes to us all after the good days, the stressful days, the ghastly days and the days when we think we're getting better so overdo things. DD