Outpatients appointments

firestar
firestar Member Posts: 44
edited 27. Mar 2015, 04:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

can anyone tell how long we are given for our outpatient appointments?

I am a bit fed up of having a very rushed 10-15 minute every 4 months and don't feel I get enough time to talk. I also tend to be anxious so plan by writing any question and never get beyond asking a couple. After waiting 2 hours and 40 minutes for my last appointment and then feeling ushered out after 10 minutes I have had enough and thought I would see what I am supposed to be getting and try and work out a plan of action from there!
Many thanks
Amanda

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, I've no idea. I never feel rushed but I'm only very rarely in for what seems any length of time.

Why not ask at your next appointment how long a normal one is?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    My appointments are never very long unless something is seriously wrong and needs changing/investigating. That said, I'm still in quickly if it's my very efficient consultant. Last time I was checked over very thoroughly, I was out in under 20 minutes but I'd waited a long time beyond my due appointment time. I didn't mind, they were dealing with a new mum who was flaring badly post pregnancy. I chatted with her very anxious mum whilst I waited. I've been that urgent patient, it's terrifying and makes me grateful to anybody who has had to wait whilst my problems were dealt with. I'm only reviewed every 6-12 months depending on what my med reviews with my rheumatology nurse is up to. Every 4 months seems really frequent to me.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I think this is a great post! I know the feeling waiting a round for an hour or so to see your consultant, I'm lucky because of the amount of time I have to go hospital I have got to know the nurses well! They always have a good natter with me asking how the rugrats are or how was my last holiday!! But I do get restless whenever my consultant comes out of the room to speak to a nurse or get a file. And then finally you get called and go into the room and they ask 'how have you been ?' and they start doing their checks and before you can get your list of questions out to ask the consultant they say those famous lines 'right I want to see you again....' And that's it your appointment is finished. They must have a buzzer hidden or something that lets them know your time is up!!

Amanda is a cool name from one Amanda to another!! :D
  • firestar
    firestar Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for responding,
    I am going slowly crazy with the lack of support. I am still relatively new to all this and new to this doctor and just don't feel I am getting enough opportunity to discuss things.
    I don't mind waiting 2hrs 40 mins if I get an ok appointment at the end of it. I spoke to my GP and she has said it needs to be addressed and she is really good- thankfully or else I would go insane! She is contacting them as they are not returning my calls and I am supposed to having an urgent brain MRI as the anti TNF might have triggered MS- this was dropped like a bombshell in that awful 10 minute appointment. So far they have given me an appointment in 6 weeks but it is supposed to be done with in two weeks and we are at day 10 so I think tomorrow i will have to make a formal complaint to get all these issues resolved- hopefully! AS if I didn't already have enough on my plate!
    Sorry to rant but it helps just saying it here,
    Amanda xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Amanda..
    I had the same for a few years, but now I have learned to stand my ground, if they try to usher me out I just stay sitting and say I have some questions here for you..2 out of 3 times it works, I'm glad to see you have a good GP they are worth there weight in gold..hope you get some help very soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You must be worried about the results of the MRI and I'm glad you have an understanding GP as these are our first port of call and a good relationship with them helps enormously. I would imagine the wait will not make any difference to the outcome but will, of course, affect your anxiety levels. I hope the outcome is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright