“Dropping Jeremy Clarkson is a tragedy”

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 26. Mar 2015, 15:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
According to James May.

Personally I think the German plane crash is a tragedy.
The Tunisia museum attack in which tourists were killed is a tragedy.
The Ebola disaster was a tragedy.

Dropping Clarkson was merely the logical sacking of a man who thought normal rules of decency didn't apply to him.

Who on earth do these people think they are?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    an event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe

Nope I don't think it's a tragedy either :roll:
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Thank goodness - I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought along those lines!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I totally agree with you Sticky. In any other job, if someone behaved as he has done, they would likely be sacked so why not him? It's certainly no tragedy.
    Christine
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Totally agree, "tragedy " tends to be one of those words which is misused these days.
    Jeremy Clarkson 's behaviour was inexcusable and would not be tolerated in other work situations, he knew he was on a final warning after incidents last year.
    Well done the BBC for doing the right thing and sacking him even though financially it will cost them dearly.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I was horrified to hear the Prime Minister joking that his daughter was planning a hunger strike and asking for his intervention. Surely, no matter who your friends are you teach your children that violence is reprehensible and deserves punishment?! I was surprised there was a petition to keep him. If he had been a footballer or a Miley Cyrus type starlet there would have been outrage at such petulant behaviour. Apparently being a middle class old dart makes violence outbursts about hot food ok to some people.

A tragedy it isn't - just shows how self deluded the lot of them are.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Problem is it's not 'cool' to say you don't like some of the stuff he says or does.
    No-one would have been brave enough to put their name to a petition to get rid of him would they?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Actually, I was surprised there wasn't a 'counter-petition'. I would have been happy to sign up but not techy enough to do it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cate
    Cate Member Posts: 280
    I was appalled to read that the producer, Oisin, has been receiving death threats, and scared to leave his home.

What in the name of God has happened to this country?
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm glad he's gone, he thinks he's above everyone else and believes punching a producer and verbal attacking another member of staff is okay! According to the news James May & Richard Hammond are walking away with Clarkson so the show will either be dropped or a new one put together. My OH thinks another channel will pick it up either Channel 4 or Channel 5.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I'm not condoning violence, but in the case of Jeremy Clarkson, I wouldn't object to somebody thumping him! :?

a010.gif

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    There is definitely something wrong when it's the man he punched who is getting threats. Good riddance to him I say but I have heard a rumour that Sky might take him on. :roll:
    Christine
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    I agree with all the above sentiments - Clarkson has never been my cup of tea, & is quite objectionable.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Ditto to all the above
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    My Daughter is a massive fan of Clarkson, Hammond and May so she's feeling a bit sad because the recent episodes, which she was looking forward to watching, have been suspended and that the show may never return in its current format. However she does know that J.C. can be controversial.

I think Mr clarkson knows he was in the wrong, hence the sullen impression.

It is horrible that people feel it is okay to insult, bully or threaten and i understand many people have now been on twitter to support the producer.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I totally agree with all of the above xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have always enjoyed Clarkson's writing and I was a fan of Top Gear but it should have been axed some time ago: it was becoming stale, repetitive, over-scripted and far too obvious in the 'events of mishap' that the team 'created'.

I can see why May and Hammond may regard it as a tragedy (wrong word without a doubt but maybe they were quoted 'off the cuff') - despite both having other programme links with the BBC the amount of time, the effort and dedication TG required must have played a huge part in their private as well as public lives. They'll survive, either with or without employment by the Beeb.

I won't comment on what may or may not have happened because I wasn't there and don't know either of the involved parties but hey, why should that basic fact stop others who weren't there etc. voicing their nasty thoughts with such vitriol? Twitbook gives free-rein to idiots, we live in an age where those in the public eye are fair game for those with an over-inflated sense of self and who feel the need to speak up when, basically, it's a storm in an espresso cup. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    always 2 sides to a story they say.and I read the other side today..how the producer did his best and even got the meal that Clarkson demanded..but not enough ..he had to put the poor man through all the verbal abuse plus hitting him...well rid I say..terrible that Cameron was joking about it.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara