RIP Richie Benaud

Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 13. Apr 2015, 07:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Thought Sticky might beat me to this. I know he was Australian, but still played a huge part in English cricket too. RIP

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    He had such a Hypnotic voice..if thats the right word...brilliant at his job..RIP
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Cricket won`t be quite the same without him - end of an era.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    You just heard his voice and knew who it was.R.I.P. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Sticky is currently AWOL in California so probably won't have heard until after us (if at all). I loved his accent (a gentle Australian twang without the rising inflection), the way he made cricket sound both reasonable and sensible, plus his ability to remain completely neutral when his beloved side was playing. Death comes to us all but, unlike others, his is a genuine loss to the sporting world. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Benaud was that rarity - a retired cricketer who had nothing but praise for current stars. No rose-tinted, backward-looking spectacles for him. He gave fulsome praise where praise was due and thought the game was improving all the time. So refreshing!

(We do get news here in California :wink: I had heard and actually popped in here last night but my head is currently full of sunshine and hummingbirds. )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    He has always been a voice of cricket for me - I don't remember cricket before him. So sad
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter