Ankle and Foot Osteoarthritis

markmyers
markmyers Member Posts: 4
edited 13. Apr 2015, 17:30 in Say Hello Archive
So found out about a month ago that I have Osteoarthritis of the Ankle Joint and the joints in my left foot.

My story goes a couple of years ago my foot swelled up went really red, at the time I put it down to working outside kneeling down among some plants and thought I'd been bit, stung or something. Fast Forward to just over 2 months ago. Similar thing, kneeling down for a while at work, except it was inside and pain swelling started the very next day, foot like a balloon.

Trip after trip to the docs, ex-ray done first, nothing, different doctors said different things, one doc referred me to podiatrist and it was then suggested I had a mri.

Now 3 weeks ago I went back to work and the podiatrist advised that I would have to manage it and not kneel down if I could help it. So these 3 weeks have been quite testing. You see I am a decorator and to reach things at floor level well its hard as basically gotta get down and sit on my bum.

Anyway what happened Thursday yep it flared up again, back at docs today and given me naproxen. The doc seems to think we can control it, but I just have a feeling that due to my job its just going to keep flaring up.

Sorry that I have gone on but has anyone got any advice or been in the same situation.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi MarkMyers

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Moderator JK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have two kinds of arthritis, both sets of toes are affected by psoriatic arthritis and I have OA in both ankles. I didn't have much success with Naproxen but I know it works very well for some - hopefully you will be included in that number.

What is your GPs advice about taking it? If you only have it for a few days at a time then that should be OK but if it's for more constant use then you should also have a stomach protector. It is difficult when one's working life is affected, I haven't knelt down since 1998 - I think I've forgotten how to do it! OA doesn't spread as such but once one joint is our of kilter others can be affected: it may be sensible to use knee pads to protect your knees and maybe an ankle support when at work, but that should not be used constantly. Non weight-bearing exercise such as cycling or swimming may also be beneficial towards keeping the muscles that surround the joint as strong and flexible as possible, the better to support the joint. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • markmyers
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have two kinds of arthritis, both sets of toes are affected by psoriatic arthritis and I have OA in both ankles. I didn't have much success with Naproxen but I know it works very well for some - hopefully you will be included in that number.

What is your GPs advice about taking it? If you only have it for a few days at a time then that should be OK but if it's for more constant use then you should also have a stomach protector. It is difficult when one's working life is affected, I haven't knelt down since 1998 - I think I've forgotten how to do it! OA doesn't spread as such but once one joint is our of kilter others can be affected: it may be sensible to use knee pads to protect your knees and maybe an ankle support when at work, but that should not be used constantly. Non weight-bearing exercise such as cycling or swimming may also be beneficial towards keeping the muscles that surround the joint as strong and flexible as possible, the better to support the joint. DD

GP has said take 2 x 500mg a day with food. Have a 2 week course. Wants me to see how many days it takes until swelling pain goes down then stop taking them, report back with info.

Have read about problems to do with stomach and heart. Have knee pads already, have had for years now. Ankle support, now there's an idea, used to wear one years ago playing football.

Had a feeling someone was going to say they haven't knelt down for years. Have been thinking this wkend if it is time for a change of career.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello from me too, Mark. Only you can decide if a change of career is a possibility. With luck the napeoxen will help but, if you are to stay on it, a stomach protector will be necessary. I thought only the newer NSAIDS ( the Cox 2 inhibitors) affected the heart but I could be wrong.

Supports of any kind can do a valuable job as long as we don't overuse them. If we do then the muscles stop working and strong muscles are needed to support the joints. That way they hurt less and deteriorate more slowly.

Anything you can do to lessen the impact on your ankles will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • markmyers
    Thanks for your welcomes, good bit of news is swelling and redness has gone down and was back to work today, tho making sure not too flare it up again.

Boss said about re-training and if any jobs come up she will let me know. So fingers crossed all should be a-ok. Just hope I don't have another flare up anytime soon as the pain is unbearable.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am pleased to read that there has been some improvement for you, that is good news indeed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben