Greetings!

Options
ClarMars
ClarMars Member Posts: 5
edited 22. Apr 2015, 13:17 in Say Hello Archive
Hello all. It's great to finally find somewhere to visit where you can chat to people in the same boat. I've been diagnosed with RA for 8 years, and for the majority of that time have been fortunate enough to be relatively well. However, in the last six weeks, things have taken a real nosedive. I'm on sulfasalazine having switched from methotrexate about a year ago and was feeling great, but something has triggered a huge increase in symptoms. I wonder if other folks have experienced this at all?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello ClarMars

Welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I can tell you have already had a good look around and yes, this is a good place for advice and a chat with people in a similar position to yourself.

Please do feel free to join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome. I look forward to seeing you posting.

If you experience any problems at all feel free to send us a personal message.

Best wishes

Moderator AC
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am in a slightly different position to you in that I have PsA plus OA and take more meds but they include sulph and have done since 2002. I cannot truthfully say that the sulph has helped the arthritis because it never has. Although it is a DMARD it has never struck me as being as 'heavy duty' as the meth (which I take via injection). Why were you taken off the meth? From what you have said it sounds to me as though the sulph is not dealing sufficiently well with controlling the disease - what dose have you built to? I apologise for the questions but a clearer picture is always helpful towards giving a clearer no-doc-but-practising-patient answer. :wink: I wish you well and hope to hear back from you soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, too. It does sound as if the sulph isn't controlling things right now. You should have a rheumatology helpline. Why not give them a ring?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ClarMars
    ClarMars Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, thanks for replying! Dreamdaisy, I came off Metho as I started to feel very sick on it, even when injecting. The sulph felt great almost immediately, so I thought I'd cracked it, but this sudden decline has really thrown me. I'm in touch with my Rheumy dept, but after so long in remission, it's hard to suddenly go into fifth gear and ask the right questions. I've an occupational therapy appointment this morning and phsyio in two weeks, so fingers (gently!) crossed!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, thank you for replying. I've heard about remission but never experienced it and never will because things are too far gone for yours truly. :wink: This must make things so much harder for you - this disease knows how to suck and to suck hard. :( In my time I have had sulph, meth, leflunomide and cyclosporine, once I'd failed on all of them (fail meaning no improvement whatsoever but that took months to establish) I was then granted the 'big guns' of the anti-TNFs. Same applied because by then it was all far too little far too late. Thankfully the thinking has improved, I know it has because when I have a rheumatology appointment people stroll in and out of theirs without a walking aid in sight. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben