Moustachioed Blackbirds.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Apr 2015, 02:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
There is much male nesting activity happening in my neck of the woods and it makes for entertaining observation. There are two pairs of blackbirds nesting in the conifers at one end of the garden (I can tell them apart because one of the males has one white tail feather which looks very striking) and at one point both were on the lawn with beaksful of moss. They looked as though they had grown the classic, drooping Zapata-style moustache.

I have been told that birds decide in February where they will nest. I wonder if that is true? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• bimble
    bimble Member Posts: 42
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I hope your blackbirds have more luck than ours last year - the eggs hatched but magpies took all the babies. Nature can be cruel!
    I've brushed our golden retriever today and put the loose hair on the lawn. I haven't seen what's taken it but some has disappeared. It will make a very cosy nest!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I do hope they nest for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They are nesting but invisibly so, which is understandable if disappointing. Mr DD deposited his hair clippings on the lawn last Sunday morning and they rapidly disappeared. According to evidence on the grass the hedgehog may be back too: I have put out a shallow dish of water. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I do love watching the blackbirds,and they can become so tame....you could do what our neighbours have done, put a little wireless camera in the nest..if you can get near it that is..
    Love
    Barbara
  • bimble
    Options
    I've spotted the birds taking the dog's hair - a goldfinch and a wren, the latter brought a smile to my face as it took so much it looked more like a Father Christmas beard than a moustache! Also watched a blackbird doing a strange jig on the lawn - then realised it was actually scratching up the moss with its feet!
    All the dog's hair has gone now - there's plenty more where it came from! That'll be a job for tomorrow.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Birds do look funny with nest material hanging out of their mouths. I have a pair of blackbirds who come for dinner. She will feed near me but not too close. He will come very close and follows me round the garden. I think they've only had one baby left at the end of each of the last few years.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Awww!!! :)

Unfortunately I dread birds nesting in our garden due to...Daisycat :shock:

xxxxxx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    bimble wrote:
    I hope your blackbirds have more luck than ours last year - the eggs hatched but magpies took all the babies. Nature can be cruel!
    I've brushed our golden retriever today and put the loose hair on the lawn. I haven't seen what's taken it but some has disappeared. It will make a very cosy nest!

I think the birds nesting in our garden must have been 'feeling the pinch' since our beautiful Golden Retriever died. He was 15, and his hairs must have lined hundreds of nests!!
  • bimble
    Options
    Dutifully brushed the dog again. It has since rained, not such a cosy lining! Theresak - you must miss your 'Goldie' a lot, they're super dogs, but their hairs do get everywhere don't they? (Especially on visitors' black trousers!) At least there's a plentiful supply for the birds!
  • bimble
    Options
    Well it may have been wet but the hair has all gone this morning. So I'll get busy with the brush again before the dog dunks herself in the river for her daily swim. She's never looked so tidy!