Hello I am new

rambo999cat
rambo999cat Member Posts: 2
edited 1. May 2015, 18:01 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
I am new to this forum and was hoping for some advice. I have PA and currently taking a low dose of meloxicam which normally keeps it under control. This week I have been in pain and extremely tired which leads to me not sleeping. I have been on methotrxate before but I had an extremely rare reaction to it. Can anyone recommend anything else I can take as the pain is excruitiating.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Rambo999cat from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

best wishes from fridaymod
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello rambo999cat and welcome from me too.

I'm assuming that by PA you mean Psoriatic Arthritis? If so it's not very likely that meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory, is keeping it properly 'under control'. For that DMARDS such as methotrexate are required. Psoriatic Arthritis is an auto-immune disease so meds that suppress our over-active immune systems are needed and the sooner the better.

It can be scary when we have a bad reaction to medications but methotrexate is not the only DMARD. Your rheumatologist has access to several others and I suggest you ring for an earlier appointment if yours is not due soon.

In the meantime, your GP can prescribe pain relief, raise your dose of meloxicam and / or change you to a different NSAID.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello rambo999cat,and welcome to the forum.

As Sticky has said, there are other DMARDs to try - I had a problem with MTX and have also been on sulphasalzine, leflunomide, cyclosporine and hydroxychloroquine. Azathioprine may also be an option, but you would need to see your rheumatologist.

Hoping you can get your problems resolved,

Tezz x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, welcome to our creaky and unsettling world: I wish you weren't here but you are. :( There are many acronyms used on the forum and PA is the usual for palindromic arthritis. I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) plus osteoarthritis.

We as patients cannot recommend anything because we are not rheumatologists. I began with sulfasalazine (a DMARD) and then tablet meth (ditto) was added. I developed a rash so the latter was stopped. I then tried leflunomide and cyclosporine (two other DMARDs) but little happened. I am now on the unholy trinity of tablet sulf, injected meth and an injected anti TNF, humira. I accept that they are working because my bloods are lovely. At least something is! :wink:

An auto -immune arthritis requires proper control to reduce its impact and that normally means the stronger medications. It's not fun. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben