Hello

LynneS
LynneS Member Posts: 26
edited 1. May 2015, 13:55 in Say Hello Archive
I've recently been diagnosed with seronegative arthritis and prescribed methotrexate. The diagnosis and drugs were a bit of a shock, as because I'd had no rheumatoid markers, I'd convinced myself I just had sore joints and nothing serious :?

I think I'm quite lucky as it only really affects my hands unless I'm having a really bad day.

I think the thing that has bothered me the most is having to take immune suppressant drugs long term (I think I'm almost drug phobic :roll: ). The consultant has offered me a steroid injection to help until the Methotrexate kicks in, which I think may be preferable to popping lots of Naproxen - any experience?

Thanks

Lynne

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Lynne welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have a sero-negative version which was eventually recognised as psoriatic arthritis; despite a lifetime of auto-immune troubles the arrival of this back in 1997 (but not recognised until 2002 or accurately diagnosed until 2006) was a an unexpected surprise of the yukky kind, for you it must be a shock of the utterly unwholesome kind. I am sorry.

The thought of being on medication for some considerable time ahead is not pleasant but in this case of this disease it is necessary. The sooner disease activity is reduced by dampening the immune system the better the outcome will be in terms of joint damage and pain levels. I have been taking injected meth for some years now, in conjunction with two other drugs, and the PsA is generally well-controlled. I have hardly any trouble with side effects.

Steroids have a role to play but they are not a long-term treatment. They mask the symptoms which can make us feel 'better' but they do not address the underlying cause and, if over-used, bring their own troubles. I never had much joy from the injected ones but the tablet ones were another story! I took a year to wean myself off them and I am pleased I did because my bone density increased by 3.4% in the following year.

Please post again on the Living with Arthritis board on here because more look in on there and you may gain more replies. I wish you well. DD

PS Please ensure that your GP knows you are beginning meth because you qualify for a free 'flu jab.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Lynne and a warm welcome from me..
    Sorry I can advise but I do wish you well with whatever you decide..hope you stay with us , we are a friendly lot.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • LynneS
    LynneS Member Posts: 26
    Thanks both.

I think I'm quite lucky really as it only affects my hands at the mo, but it is nice to talk to people who understand ☺
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello LynneS and a warm welcome from me, too.

I imagine it's quite a lot of a shock, not just 'a bit' of one. My RA also started in my hands and my parents (I was 15) thought I was making a lot of fuss about mere chilblains until the doc got my test results.

The meds do seem quite daunting at first but please do take them. If they'd been an option, back when I started, my life wold have been much easier as, indeed, it has been since I did start taking methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine.

A steroid jab or naproxen? Tweedledum or tweedledee really. For some, me included, steroids in any form are miracles in disguise but, as DD says, they don't change anything just give the impression that they do. And the jabs don't work for everyone. Naproxen can help too but, if taking it regularly, please ask your doc to add in a stomach-protecting med.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello LynneS and welcome. I can't really add to what others have said.I have Naproxen too, but take Omeprazole as a stomach protector. Popping pills isn't fun, but unfortunately in the auto-immune world it's a necessary evil.