The Value of Exercise (learnt the hard way)

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 14. May 2015, 02:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm almost two weeks back from a month in L.A. where I've no chance to do my regular exercises (but did have 3 flights of stairs to negotiate 2-3 times daily).

I've yet to re-start the step-ups.

I re-started the quads last week and added the weights this week. It wasn't easy going at first.

Today I got on my i-joy ride (exercise horse). Blimey! Normally I do 15-20 minutes at least, with a 0.5k weight, and wonder if it's doing any good at all.

Two minutes in, my thighs were aching so much I stopped to check I was sitting correctly. I was. The dead easy side dips were horrible. The basic arm exercises no fun at all and my back started protesting after about four minutes. Six or seven minutes in I'd to call it a day.

I'll get back on tomorrow but, is there any point to such basic stuff? Oh yes, there is.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It takes repetitive effort to gain our fitness, and it takes time to build stamina but we can lose it in no time. :( I have no doubt that you will get back into the rhythm of doing what you do and how you do it and will soon start to feel the benefits. I had a go on one of those mechanical horses once - it was very scary. :shock:

I have physio tomorrow, I have been doing the exercises to lengthen strengthen my Achilles but I fear my sweet physio will be disappointed with what little I have achieved in the past six weeks. I still cannot master standing on tiptoe for longer than a rapid count of two :wink: but my right big toe has greatly improved movement - hopefully that will lessen her disappointment! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    That`s the trouble with exercise - it takes a long time to build up the stamina, and it`s lost in the blink of an eye when you take a break.

DD - I`ve had two operations on my Achilles tendons, one op on each leg, and I haven`t been able to stand on tiptoe since.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You're both quite right. We gain slowly and lose quickly but I did manage about 10 minutes today. I'll go for the trot tomorrow.

The mechanical horse is nowhere near as scary as the real thing. They start and stumble and make unpredictable moves. The lovely Chiquita obeyed voice commands so you couldn't ever hold a conversation with someone, when seated on her, using the 'c' or 'g' words as she'd be off like lightening :lol:

Hope the physio helped.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The real thing? Crikey Moses no, they are HUGE and don't have an accelerator, brake or clutch; I far prefer the automotive version of horsepower. I do, however, love horses' ears. They are fascinating in how they move and the signals they communicate.

Physio was a surprise. I thought I wasn't doing very well, it turned out that I am doing better than she expected. My reward is another exercise. I must remember to do it. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben