When I'm cleaning windows . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 14. May 2015, 07:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
At my last attempt to clean the insides of our windows (a detested task)with a spray cleaner plus kitchen towel I ended up with throbbing knees and ankles, aching arms and wrists, sore spots on the back of my hands where I had hit the handles plus smears a-plenty when the sun shone. Most exasperating. :( I decided to do some research, prompted by those tiresome ads on the telly of (as usual) the girl being better at doing a basic chore than the boy because she was using a certain cordless yellow window vac.

I am now the proud owner of a white version of said vac (which is lighter than their other light-weight model) and yesterday happily tackled the inside of the kitchen windows (14 separate panes in total, two of which are full-length French doors) and could not believe how easy it was on the arms and wrists. OK, so the ankles and knees were less than happy (there's no pleasing them anyway) but I breezed through it, spray in one hand with the diluted cleaner, vac in the other. The doors have a couple of smears but I am a novice operator. :wink: Today I aim to do the sitting room, then I shall work my way through the rest of the house in due course. There is one slight hitch: I cannot undo the plug on the dirty water receptacle to drain it so may well hand over to 'im indoors for that bit.

There is some maintenance involved in washing the blades etc. after use but I am resolved to dust the windows on a regular basis to minimise the 'dirt'. I have a window chappie for the outsides but the insides often negated the impact of his work - no longer! :) Keep your eyes peeled for special offers etc., there are many versions of this out there and, in my limited experience, they do make life substantially easier. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Phew! I feel exhausted just reading that.

My power tool is Mr SW

And, yes, before you ask, my windows are not normally crystal clear :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Slightly jealous. My windows were always clean but the sticky fingered creatures have discovered the joys of climbing onto the window sill and smearing their hands all over the window. Do they do a twin hand vac? I doubt it would be powerful enough for my grimy pair.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    This did revive a memory though of a former boyfriend a long time ago. He thought his windows were tinted. He was a smoker. I used a cloth to prove they weren't. He could have done with a window vac. His lack of effort to ever remove the tint was one of the many reasons I didn't hang around :shock:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD i have the same little machine...brilliant and who cares about smears...
    LV what a brilliant story...tinted windows indeed.... :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    how much do you charge you have done a good job.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How much do I charge? Ummm, for you two it's a couple of cuppas and a choccy biccy, for everyone else it's £50 per pane. :wink:

My skill with the machine is improving, I have been told not to do them in the heat of the afternoon because warm glass leads to smears so from here-on-in I won't. Today's task has been spraying our gravelled drive with weedkiller. I'm tired. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    How much do I charge? Ummm, for you two it's a couple of cuppas and a choccy biccy, for everyone else it's £50 per pane. :wink:

:shock: I'll stick with my current chap.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Thank you DD
    the traveling would cost more than the windows.
    you take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx