The sweet summer sound of leather on willow

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 16. May 2015, 03:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
Naturally, we associate that sound with a quintessential English summer. Except last night it wasn`t the sound of leather on willow - it was the spectators` teeth chattering and the blowing of breath onto hands in an effort to keep warm.

Yes, we watched our oldest grandson`s first cricket match of the season last night - wrapped up in as many layers as we could, including my woolly hat! I even had a spare jacket over my knees, for heaven`s sake! May in York, on a "summer" evening. The cricketers didn`t seem to notice, except when the ball stung their frozen fingers.

Please, summer, come quickly!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    theresak the things we do for our children and GC... :D but like you say its May and I can always remember the weather being settled now...how do I remember ,its my Birthday this weekend and we are usually eating out side somewhere nice.....fingers crossed, today has been stunning here in the North West.. :shock: :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Yes, I never quite understand the gentle image of sunshine, blue sky, summer breeze, green sward and Pimms, cider, beer or whatever. Cricket's only usually like that in California, for my money.

I still recall my son's first ever U15s match played out, manfully, in a blizzard.

I hope they won, Tezz.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Lost narrowly, Sticky,but he took two wickets in his three overs, managed a run-out, and got into double figures with the bat. He`s playing U 11s this season. Next grandson is U9s. All the volunteer coaches/helpers deserve medals for the amount of time they give up.

Our younger son`s very first match for Durham Schools U15s was played amidst flurries of snow! Both umpires wore fur-lined parkas to keep warm.
  • stickywicket
    Hey, well done that lad!

My 5yr old grandson in L.A. is playing baseball and the coaches are great, encouraging both teams and instilling respect for the opposition.

I have frozen on many cricket pitches. I think the cruellest move was when they brought the Windies to UK in March and sent them up to Durham.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    Hey, well done that lad!

My 5yr old grandson in L.A. is playing baseball and the coaches are great, encouraging both teams and instilling respect for the opposition.

I have frozen on many cricket pitches. I think the cruellest move was when they brought the Windies to UK in March and sent them up to Durham.

We're a very hardy lot up here in Durham!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can understand the romantic appeal of a cricket team in whites plus the sound of leather on willow - it is a picturesque scene but I prefer the thwack of what-used-to-be-gut on a tennis ball. Tennis is the sport of an English summer and I miss playing it with friends followed by a trip to the local pub for 'refreshment'. :wink: I had a rubbish serve (think Francoise Durr) but a cracking forehand in the mould of Steffi Graff; I learned the dark arts of the one-handed backhand just a little too late to be of any use. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    I loved tennis - I especially loved John Newcombe in his lovely short shorts. I saved up for ages to buy a Dunlop Maxply, finally able to buy it when I was about twenty, and I thought I was the 'bee's knees!'

My heroine was Margaret Court, formerly Smith, whose game I so admired, since she could really volley the ball well. There weren't as many long rallys in those days - Francoise Durr had wonderful ground strokes, but they were often cut off at the net.

We weren't allowed to play a two-handed backhand, as it was thought to affect our reach - now they all use two hands on the backhand.

My friend & I once reached the QF of a local tournament ( doubles ) and our prize was a pair of tennis socks each! Happy days!
  • stickywicket
    :lol:

But in those, more innocent, times we didn't realise you needed a special pair of socks to play tennis :wink:

I remember my son's Under IXs cricket side sharing the three boxes, which had to go in their underpants as none had a jock strap. Ah those pre Health and Safety days :roll:
    Steven Wright